Caring for a rabbit after neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLuvMyLilBuns

Reaction score
Hi! So this morning my rabbit, Charlie was neutered. The vet just said to make sure he's eating and talked about making sure he doesn't chew/lick the stitches. I looked at his stomach but I don't see the stitches.
Where is that located?

Is there anything special I should know? So far he's nibbled a little on his hay and veggies but I don't think he's touched his pellets. Also, he's maybe taken a drink of water. He's pooped a little bit but they aren't normal and solid they are very soft. Is this normal? Should i be worried? He wasn't moving much today but now he's much more active and seems to be doing good. Any advice would be great!

His poop will be a little off for a couple of days due to the effects of the anaesthesia, but as long as he IS pooping that's ok. It can be hard to see the stitches due to all the fur, but they're between his back legs and body, where his testicles were. Just keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't duck his head and start pulling/chewing at something in that area.

Keep his litterbox as clean as possible to avoid infections. It's good he's started eating a little, he should ideally be eating normally by the end of the day.

It depends on the neuter procedure the vet used. There may be a single incision on the lower part of the belly(in which case the belly will have been shaved), or there may be two incisions, on on each scrotal sac.

Keep encouraging him to eat. As long as he is eating a good enough amount to keep his digestion moving, then his appetite should get back to normal in a day or two. It's pretty normal for pellets to be the last thing they get back to eating. If he's hardly eating at all, then call your vet in the morning, as you may need to start syringe feeds. Also keeping him warm is important, as their body temp will drop after having anesthesia. You can usually tell by how cold their ears feel, and if their body feels cold at all. Poop will be a bit abnormal for a few days, then should get back to normal as he starts eating more normally. You just don't want to be seeing diarrhea, and call your vet immediately if you do. Here's some other post op info.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Latest posts

Back