Carefresh - how long does a 60lt bag last

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopandpee

Reaction score
I am deciding between using Carefresh/pine pellets or puppy pads for my buns litter tray in hopes to stop her peeing everywhere while also being cost effective.

Pine pellets are $14/bag that lasts 4 months - Carefresh $55 for 60L (unsure how long it will last to make it worthwhile)
Pros: odor control/environmentally friendly/clean box every 4-5days/
Cons: costs/bun might eat Carefresh coz she loves eating cardboard

Puppypads $20/100 will last 2 months as I have 2 trays
Pros: won't dirty litter box, would immediately be soft and inviting so my bun won't slip in plastic tray
Cons: no odor control/daily litter box cleaning/not environmentally friendly/worried my bun will eat the plastic

I would get the pine pellets. They have amazing odor control and are super cheap! I get a $6 bag once a year and I clean Theo's large litter box every week.
I wouldn't get Carefresh because as you said I'm worried your rabbit will eat it and it is super expensive. Also, it doesn't have good odor control. I wouldn't get puppy pads because of all the reasons you said.

I was going to use the carefresh on top of the pine pellets,
currently I am using pine pellets/hay only but my rab seems to hate using her tray, and she will pee everywhere outside! I'm hoping with the carefresh, it's more soft and inviting for her to use it 95% of the time. She loves peeing on towels and soft things.

I used to get carefresh and the bag was a lot smaller than that, lasted a few months in my experience.

Thanks @Remy The Rabbit. I believe it’s 24Lt and expands to 60lt after hours of googling and YouTubing 😂.
It comes in 3 different sizes.
contemplating if $55for a few months is worth it..

how many many’s roughly? 3-4?

That’s great! If it lasts for 5 months, I’d be happy with that. How many buns/litter boxes do you have? What size are they? How much do you use/frequency litter change.

I have one bunny, one litterbox. I mostly use pine pellets in the litterbox but carefresh for bedding. I replace bedding every few weeks but before I used just carefresh in the litterbox and replaced it every week. It still lasted a while

I change my 2 litter trays every 4-5 days and have 2 buns.
do you mean you can reuse the carefresh for a few weeks after cleaning the tray?

I had a bun that didn't like the feel of the hard pellet litter, and I initially tried carefresh, but I didn't find carefresh very good at odor control or absorption(easily saturated, didn't last long). But as a soft layer over pellets should work better. For my bun a soft hay layer over the pellets worked. Now I use a diy soft pet screen over my buns litter, to prevent digging and separate the hay from the litter so I can remove the soiled hay more easily.

If the carefresh over pellets does't work you can always try the pee pads. Some bunny's won't bother to mess and chew them. I have to use them for an old bun that doesn't use the litter box anymore. They work alright, but can get smelly and have to be changed regularly when they get too saturated. In my experience, a nice layer of hay over pine pellets is the best for absorption and odor control, though not much use if your bun doesn't like that set up.

Fresh hay layered twice/day over pellets (covered by grate for anti-digging) has worked well for my triplets. I believe the pellets are much cheeper than the paper litter options....

I have 3 buns and 2 litter boxes that I replace pine pellets on every other day. With this frequency, I go through a 40 lb bag in about 2 weeks! I get the bags at a local feed store for $7/bag, so the cost isn't prohibitive, but a pain to have to go and buy bags so frequently (I buy 2 bags at a time as storing any more than that is a pain).

I tried carefresh in the beginning, but since I change out my litter boxes so frequently, it just wasn't cost effective for me.

I have to clean out the litter boxes frequently b/c once the pellets get wet, they turn into sawdust that my rabbits like to dig through, leaving a mess everywhere. They have plenty of toys, including a dig box, but nothing says fun to them like digging through used litter pellets!

Not sure how folks are able to tolerate only replacing the pellets once a week!

Who is selling 60 L bags of carefresh for $55? my local Petco sells it for $16.49.

Latest posts

Back