Care of kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainerra

Reaction score
just a few basic questions. Will she keep the nest clean? I've heard both - that until they are older Mama handles all of the pee/poo and that I will have to replace the hay daily of the kits will get sick.

So far, Twilight is being a good mother. The kits are lively and have fat little ping pong bellies. She has a nice warm nest made for them in the house. She has no problems/issues with me handling them, though she does prefer to supervise :)

Any hints or tips so I can make sure these little guys are going to make it ok?
I uploaded a couple of photos into the gallery. There are 7. 1 white, 1 brown, one black and white. The other 4 are black.

Momss don't clean the nest, they clean the kits.
Depends on the Nest box. If you have a wooden bottom(or a solid bottom) you'll need to take out all the fur and flip or clean that part and put all the fur back in.. because all their urine and poop will start to retain on the wood. Babies will be covered in nasties and the smell would be not so good for them

If you see that the Mom had urinated all over the the nest, remove that fur and try to replace it. With 7 kits, I would pay close attention to the 2 smallest ones. Somebody doesn't get a nipple at feeding time.

All my next boxes are wire meshed, but I'll still clean it up a little bit when they're around 2 weeks

thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on the babies. I don't have a scale that I can weigh them. Should I be considering supplementing with a bottle?

Mom has never been one to soil in her hutch, she has a corner of the yard for that. It's only been since last night, so the nest is still clean.

If I have to replace the hair, will she reline the nest? Or is there something else I can replace it with?
In my gallery there is actually a picture of her nest. The sleeping hutch is wood with a solid bottom, full of hay. She made a hollow of hay and lined that with fur all around. Then covered over the babies with fur.

This is the first time I've ever had baby bunnies. How soon can you sex the kits?

Some people can sex them at a few days old. I wait until 2 weeks to try, but not too hard- get a prelim almost. Then at 6 weeks I double check their sex to get definents I take my boxes out and strip clean them at 2 weeks- saving as much of her fur as i can, rebuild the nest with fresh clean shavings, straw, hay and her saved fur. I remove the boxes completely at 3.5- 4 weeks of age, usually that's when they just start using it as a litter box.

Just an update.

I'm checking the babies 2X a day. Each time, a different bunny hasn't had as big a belly. Hopefully that means that they are managing to rotate themselves around?

One is smaller than the other, but I guess a runt is to be expected in a litter that large? All of them are lively and loud.
How soon before I can stop worrying as much that they aren't going to make it?

dainerra wrote:
Just an update.

I'm checking the babies 2X a day. Each time, a different bunny hasn't had as big a belly. Hopefully that means that they are managing to rotate themselves around?

One is smaller than the other, but I guess a runt is to be expected in a litter that large? All of them are lively and loud.
How soon before I can stop worrying as much that they aren't going to make it?
I'm wondering the same as your last question also. I'm such a worry wart. My doe's litter is the same size.

2- 2 1/2 weeks when they have their eyes open and are exploring. They'll start to bother moms and feed when they want to. at About 3 weeks time they'll start nibbling on the pellets, and usually all my litters crowd themselves in the pellet bowl. Drives me nuts

thanks!
Lisa, I'm a worry-er as well!
Thank goodness that Mama is patient with me messing with the babies!

I'm a worrier by nature in general, not just about baby animals either.... lol

I lost my little runt, but the remaining six are doing great. I posted more pics of them if you'd like to take a look. They were a week old yesterday. Huge milestone in my book for kits. :D

Latest posts

Back