Care for older rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnys_rule63

Reaction score
Heya guys :)

Well, my Millie just turned 8 in August, and I guess with her living outside and getting older I am just interested in everyone's experiences with caring for older rabbits. Millie has always been in good health (apart from a couple of GI statis scares and one small abscess, both years ago), and looks as good now as she did years ago, so it's not like I have reason to worry - I'd just prefer to plan ahead and keep her this healthy for many more years.:)

I've started slightly increasing the amount of pellets she eats, and I have changed her pellets from normal science selective to science selective mature:

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/products/science/

I have always monitered body weight by feel and look really, as after 8 years I know what size Millie should be, however I'm thinking of investing in some scales and monitoring her weight every week so make sure she stays at a good weight.

Apart from this, and of course the usual standard of care, is there anything else I can do? She is always on soft bedding (plenty of hay and/or vetbed), gets plenty of exercise (although of course she does prefer to rest more nowadays) and is on a good diet. I was thinkingmaybe there areany herbal supplements (or supplements in general)that particularly aid an elderly rabbit but I don't know?

Any help would be greatfully received :)

Jess and Millie x

April8.jpg

normally outside environments are not conducive to good health,,so you must be doing something right,,a diet for an elderly should be somewhat the same as a younger one/70% fiber,quality lowfat pellets,,some dandylions,clovers,grasses,,and fuit tree branches/twigs/just monitor behavior,poops,etc.annual exam,,sincerely james waller

I think you answered your own question....and I don't see where there should have been a question. Looks like a very healthy rabbit.....keep doing what you are doing. I am doing the exact same thing on my large population of "senior" rabbits....many of them are 8-10 years old. I say keep up the good work you are doing. Looks like Millie is enjoyinga dandelion in the pic. IMO, she looks great.

Randy

Millie still looks great! Does she get an annual vet exam, maybe when she goes for vaccinations? That would be the only thing I'd add if she doesn't get it already.

Actually I was just thinking about this with my older with Scarlet. She lost her bond mate last month to bad feed. She seems fine but I have noticed the last month I have had to increase her pellets because she was not keep weighting. She lives in the building with the other rabbits so she has ample shelter.

She is 6 years old and I was told she was spayed many years ago but I have no proof. The vet I got her from told me she was so I must trust her?

I was consistering bringing her in but with Dillan I am not sure that would be great since it would limit Dillan. Scarlet does not like other rabbits.

Your girl looks beautiful and healthy. I love rexie bunnies :D

Thanks guys.:)Yes Millie has 6 monthly examsand hasvaccinations (sheis alsospayed and is wormed every 6 months). I know I'm probably just a bit paranoid, but am always overly cautious when it comes to older animals. (I am paranoid about my cat who just turned 14:expressionless.)

Thanks for the compliments though,:Dit's good to hear that you think Millie looks in good condition as well.

Samantha, I hope you can get some help from this thread as well.:)

It might be good to weigh her monthly, perhaps when you do nail trims? She really does look good. There are supplements you can give, but they're usually for problems that crop up, like glucosamine/chondroitin for arthritis and joint health, and I wouldn't add them unless she showed signs of joint pain.

Latest posts

Back