Car Ride Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh9023

Reaction score
I've been reading that one way to bond bunnies is to take them on a car ride together. However, it never explains exactly how to do this. Do they each go in a separate carrier? I can't imagine just setting them on the seat. Seems like they would be all over the place. Does anyone know how to do this?

I've done something similar, except I tried to scare them with a vacuum cleaner. I've also heard of putting them on the washing machine while it's running.

Whichever way you do it, they'll need to be in a box or carrier together. I feel more comfortable with a box. It lets me get to them faster if one gets aggressive. You'll also need one person to drive and one to handle the bunnies.

A lot of rabbit rescues have had good luck with this method, when used with the other normal bonding methods. I did not have luck doing this, but that pair didn't do well in the bathtub either. The standard advice didn't work much for them, although it is helping me with rebonding two sisters right now.

When I did car rides, I put the bunnies in a laundry basket together with a towel under them for comfort, and a towel over the top to keep them from jumping out while I carried them to the car. My mom drove, and I sat near the bunnies so I could supervise them. They did great in the car, but it hasn't helped the bonding at home. :( And I don't really have anyone to help me with car rides on a regular basis since someone else needs to drive. Maybe if I could do it more regularly, it would help more.

I may try the washing machine trick though and see how that works. :)
I have thought of using the vacuum cleaner, but so far haven't actually tried it.

Speaking of using loud scary sounds to get them to seek comfort in each other.....my dog is good for that, lol. Last night, Muff was being her usual huffy self, and then the dog barked, and she ran over to Tumble and huddled right next to her, hehe.

Latest posts

Back