Captured a loose rabbit....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am hesitant to post this, but I got an email from someone who matched his description...

"[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Hello, we think that it might be my bunny, is it a black and white dutch?"
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Some may think its selfish, some won't....but I don't think I am going to email the person back. The bunny reeked like cedar, is VERY skinny and obviously was starving, and they were irresponsible because the rabbit got loose. If the rabbit wasn't so skinny, then I maybe wouldn't be as concerned as I am. It is hard to say though.

It is also coming up on summer and I don't feel as though rabbits here should be outside because the temperature is way too hot. Plus, the rabbit has now been given as much hay as he wants, fresh water, pellets, treats, a comfy cage, lots of lovin', free run of the living room (which he's super happy about), and
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]he will be neutered.[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
On another note, what if they just run out and get another rabbit and it has to face the same fate?
[/font]
[/font]
This rabbit is lucky. Wild pigs, coyotes, cats, dogs, lots of traffic, and drunk people are downtown at night. The bunny was found by a bar, a block away from the square (where all the other bars are) in a wooded neighborhood. He's also super friendly and is not afraid of my dog or cats....I don't think he would have lasted long at all roaming free.
[/font]

[/font]

Beeeeh :?.
[/font]
[/font]

Wait. You listed on CL trying to find the owners just to turn around and decide to keep the rabbit because it's skinny? What if the rabbit was lost for awhile and it got skinny withen the days of being lost? We live in Louisiana and I know plenty of breeders who have rabbits outside and it gets very hot here. Also what's wrong with smelling like cedar? My rabbits smell like that alittle and they are inside my house. I'm very confused.

Amy - feel free to call me if you want (Ali can give you my cell number) - but my biggest regret is letting a rabbit go back to its original owners (before we got Tiny)....the rabbit got loose twice more - once it came to us - and finally - it was never found again.

Think twice before returning an animal to irresponsible owners.

LindyS wrote:
Wait. You listed on CL trying to find the owners just to turn around and decide to keep the rabbit because it's skinny? What if the rabbit was lost for awhile and it got skinny withen the days of being lost? We live in Louisiana and I know plenty of breeders who have rabbits outside and it gets very hot here. Also what's wrong with smelling like cedar? My rabbits smell like that alittle and they are inside my house. I'm very confused.

Yes, I posted an ad but have since put more thought into it. I am also not keeping the bunny...I will have him neutered and try to adopt him out to an indoor home with people who are educated about rabbits.

I do not believe the rabbit was loose for even a day, maybe a few hours at most. He still smelled very strongly of cedar...so that is an indication to me that he hadn't been loose for very long at all.

I definitely will not get into the debate about keeping rabbits inside vs. outside, because it is never something people will agree with. I personally do not think rabbits should be kept as outdoor animals. That is just my opinion.

Cedar is not a safe bedding for animals....http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/medical.html#shavings . Wood stove pellets or kiln dried pine are a much safer option, even if they don't come in contact with the bedding directly.

TinysMom wrote:
Amy - feel free to call me if you want (Ali can give you my cell number) - but my biggest regret is letting a rabbit go back to its original owners (before we got Tiny)....the rabbit got loose twice more - once it came to us - and finally - it was never found again.

Peg...I remember you posting the story about this bunny. It was a white bunny, wasn't it? I'd call, but Finley will be home any minute and we are heading out to go get groceries once he gets here :p.

I agree with the indoor outdoor debate.
I'm switching my litter to something else.
I know a lady that makes nestbox cedar.you learn something everyday.
Anyway if the rabbit was lost for acouples hours as the smell is strong then I understand not giving the rabbit back.
Thanks for helping me understand. I didn't want you to think I was being rude. You never stop learning like I once said.

No problem, Lindy! I'm glad you had a chance to learn that cedar isn't good for the bunno's. I've had bunnies since 2006 and I agree about learning new things every day!

undergunfire wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

Peg...I remember you posting the story about this bunny. It was a white bunny, wasn't it? I'd call, but Finley will be home any minute and we are heading out to go get groceries once he gets here :p.
Yes - it was a white bunny - I'm thinking either New Zealand or Florida White - probably NZ.

It was hilarious - I think we had the rabbit about 10 days before it was claimed and I started doing research into bunnies.

What happened was Art was leaving for work and said, "Peg - there is a white bunny outside loose." Robin & I went out to get him and it took maybe half an hour or so with carrots as bribery.

We brought him in and he lived in our bathroom at night and then was out with us during the day. I forget about his litter box habits - I think he was trained or became trained quickly.

I adored that rabbit. When Art would go to put him to bed - he'd stand up on the couch and "box" Art. Of course Art always won.

I remember that Robin had a big inflatable beach ball and he loved that - he would push it around and then stand up and put his paws on it and walk it around the room.

He was hilarious - he was under a year old but not a baby by any means.

I posted an ad for him and no one had claimed him - so we were going to keep him. We went to San Antonio to pick up Eric from the airport (spring break from college) and we stopped at Walmart on the way home and got a cage for him - and when we got home - Robin told us someone called.

They lived one street away and went out calling for him I guess - but figured he was gone. Then someone told them about seeing our ad...and the rest is history.

Like an idiot -I returned him to them (his name was "bunny").....and he lived outside in their fenced in yard.

He got loose within a week and came back to us.

I should've kept him - but I had Tiny (and the tweebs) by then and they said they'd fixed the hole.

A couple of weeks later- he got loose one more time - they came to ask us if we had him.

None of us ever saw him again.

If I had it to do over again - I wouldn't have given him back after he got loose the second time.....not sure I should have after the first time. (I did educate them on what to feed him since he was just getting leftover salad stuff and a bit of hay maybe).

I feel like I failed that rabbit - I'll always carry that with me.

I wouldn't return the rabbit if you have qualms....or maybe email and ask them what part of town they're from or how they happened to lose their rabbit (maybe a kid let it loose??).

I understand how you're feeling - I really do.

Amy,
I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from, not wanting him to go back to owners who are irresponsible. Maybe you could talk to them? Tell them you have had a couple inquiries and that you are nervous about where the bunny will go...that you work with bunny rescues and want to be sure the bun is going to the right home?
I realy wish you were closer to me...I would probably cave and take him in (it's bad that Im thinking about transport, right?). I really dont want another bun (first year teacher, new house and upcoming wedding) but something about his little face is tugging at my heart strings. I havent really recovered from the loss of Basil and Max within 6 months of one another. Why does he have to be dutch? :)
Anyway, you're awesome for saving him. Let me know if you need any help.
Haley

Haley - the moment I saw this bunny -I thought of you. I wish you could take him....

I would say that if you have doubts, I would say you can question them on how they cared for their bun and if it's obvious that they don't really seem to care, just do what you think is right.

We're actually dealing with a similar situation right now. The rabbit I posted on here as looking for a home is still looking, and now the lady that gave her and her two cagemates to us wants just her back because she was "her favorite". We're not willing to give her back, how could we condemn her to a life alone in the backyard in a small, filthy hutch only to be fed dog food?

Sometimes, doing the right thing isn't always the popular choice, but you have to do what's right for the bunny.

I talked with Finley (my boyfriend) and he agrees that there is no right decision in this matter. He did make a valid point and say that if he had found a very thin dog running loose and managed to locate the owners, he isn't sure he'd give it back either. He supports my decision with this little bunny...which makes me super happy (not that I didn't expect any different from him)!

Haley....ground transport (or flying) is definitely possible! Flying is easier and cheaper. Since he is a little bunny and with a carrier he will probably weigh under 10lbs, which I believe it only around $120 or so to fly? 10lbs & up is $219, I know that for sure.

He's honestly a little love bug. I now know that my Morgan must be part Dutch (we thought Harlequin/Dutch/Rex) because he has the same sweetness that this bunny has. The little dude pancakes for nose rubs. He was also following me around the house. It is sooo cute because he licks his little lips a lot, so his adorable bunny tongue flaps out.

I took your suggestion, Peg, and emailed the person who matched the description. I told them that the bunny I found was all black, but I'd keep an eye out for a black and white Dutch bunny. I asked them to tell me approximately how old their bunny was, what gender, and if it was friendly. Just common questions....really only questions that I need (or would like) to know, especially his age.

I think I would do the same thing you are doing...I wouldn't give it back either. Or definately not until I found out more.

He's a pretty boy! I'm glad there's no way I could get hold of him, or I might just steal him. :p

Latest posts

Back