Can't tell if my bunny's water bottle is working. :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could put a larger litter box in there that would be much better than that tiny corner one. Something like this could work. It's 98 cents at home depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-6-Qt-Storage-Box-in-White-and-Clear-Plastic-16428960/203120094

It's still on the small side but considerably more roomy than what you have and should still fit in your current cage.

A rabbit's box should be minimally large enough for them to lay down in stretched out.

--probably the sooner the better. Since you've changed the cage, now is the time to do this. He has outgrown the current one for sure. His back end seems to barely fit. ;)
clear-base-with-white-lid-sterilite-storage-bins-totes-16428960-64_1000.jpg

? I thought it's best to keep it filled. If I lower it will he not be able to reach? Still worried.

? I thought it's best to keep it filled. If I lower it will he not be able to reach? Still worried.

Once bunnies reach 6 months of age, they should only get limited pellets each day. Just 1/4 measuring cup per day (or less) is about right for rabbits under 7 lbs. He'll figure out where it is. Since they get limited pellets, I find it isn't even necessary to have a foodbowl in there all the time (though it is fine to have the bowl there, just don't be surprised if it is empty most of the time). My rabbits eat their pellets the moment I offer them. So they only have food in their bowl for about 5 minutes each day. Of course, they always have plenty of hay.

In the photo I showed earlier (with the two rabbits lounging by their attached water bowls) you can kinda make out a red dish that looks like strawberries. That is all I use to feed pellets once per day.

Ok, but if I limit it he will have to reach over even more into the cup. One would think rabbits are another species that knows if they overeat. No?

Domestic rabbits are notorious for over-eating if given the opportunity. They will even eat toxic plants without knowing any better. Pellets are not a natural food for rabbits. It is very rich -- too rich unless limited. (rabbits under 6 months of age are allowed to eat more because they are still growing)

Hay on the other hand, has low nutrition but is high in fiber -- perfect for rabbits. They can eat hay all day without overeating.

Don't feel beholden to using that twist on bowl for the pellets (it's great for water). But either way, he should be able to find those pellets even if they barely cover the bottom of the bowl. Once you've gotten bunny down to eating just those few tablespoons per day, he'll probably eat them all at once as soon as they are offered. Like I said, my rabbits' food bowl is only used for 5 minutes each day. In fact, it has become the way I get bunny back in his cage for the night. He gets super excited to get those rich pellets so he scurries into the cage when he hears me getting them.

1/4 cup is just 4 tablespoons. Once bunny is also introduced to greens and starts getting a couple cups of greens each day, he can get even fewer pellets. My 5 lb rabbit gets 2 tablespoons of pellets each day.

That bowl can sit there for a week and not be half empty. He seems to just nibble and prefer his hay.

It's great that he likes his hay. It would be better to only give him a measured amount of pellets each day. That way, not only is it more fresh (not sitting in the bowl all week) but you can monitor how much he's eating and whether or not he stops eating it - either of which can be an early indication of a problem. Always good to know how much (or if) he's eating.

Yeah, I think I'll do that. Speaking of, do these feeding dishes snap out or do I unscrew them each time? About to give change his stuff out for new.

Thanks! I just looked at mine, it's slightly different. It's pop in socket is at the edge of the bowl that faces the away from where he eats. You just pull up.
Haha, I was doing it screw wise for days now.

Latest posts

Back