Can't tell if my bunny's water bottle is working. :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratsorizzo

Reaction score
This bottle we just got has a leak problem. So I adjust it a bit up so it won't. But when I push my pinky in the feeder part I can't get any water out. This happened with his old bottle. Might be the leverage of the house or something.
My girlfriend says it's because I am not suckling the bottle like a rabbit. He goes up and it looks like he's drinking but he may just be trying. I put a dish of water in just in case but he always knocks it over somehow.

What do I do?

To check if the ball valve is working, if you press the ball in with your finger repeatedly(like a little bunny tongue would), water should flow out. If it's not then it's blocked somehow. Once you get it unblocked and water flowing, it's a good idea to check the water flow daily to make sure your bun doesn't go without water if it gets blocked up again.

I use water dispensers for cats/dogs, for my buns. I don't like the ball valve bottles as buns can't get a decent amount of water out of them and tend to not drink as well as they should because of that. Plus they have a tendency to drip or get clogged(risking dehydration). If a water dispenser won't work out, there are water dishes that attach to the side of the cage, so bun can't tip it over. Heavy ceramic dishes usually work well too.

Ahh, well I just tried, I can get my finger wet, but...(OMG)
...but I don't know if that's enough. They really sell them for cats and dogs?

Btw the OMG was me rolling my eyes at how what I wrote sounded. Sorry.

Water dispensers, as in bottles with dishes. Like this. I got mine at walmart.
images

Here's a locking water dish.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F3FCSM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Or a heavy crock.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00025YU3Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh ok, yeah we got rid of one a while ago because the two cats didn't drink enough and I didn't want it to get icky. But with this rabbit I highly doubt it. He's like those marathon runners grabbing cups from fans. Ok, I'll message her, shes at work at Walmart right now.

I found the one that we thought was thrown away. He moved it. All over.
He's not spilling it but he doesn't like where things are unless he says so. Wow! LOL

Yes, some buns are very opinionated about their housekeeping and where they think things should go. They'll even try and move their litter boxes if it's not where they think it should be and it's not secured down.

That's so funny. He was shoving stuff as I came back to check my email.

If he keeps moving it, then you can try the kind that twists onto a clamp. Jenny posted a link under "locking water dish." They also have clear ones (and clear colored ones) which I prefer because those are much easier to see through to the bottom when replacing it on the clamp.

This kind of bowl cannot be moved by a persistent rabbit so there is no chance of spilling.

upload_2018-3-28_18-50-47.png

His cage bars are too high for that I think. Have a link to any?
TYIA

But the wire section is too far up the cage. Which I am trying to explain. :p
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/attachments/0321180521c-jpg.36897

No. That doesn't look too high. I'll attach a photo of my cage with such a bowl.
Here's a photo that shows a messy cage, but you can see the height of the bowl next to the rabbits.

Btw, the cage door is left open all day -- otherwise the cage would be too small.

upload_2018-3-30_20-12-30.png

And bunnies can reach things when they want to -- even when they aren't supposed to!

upload_2018-3-30_20-13-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-30_20-8-11.png
    upload_2018-3-30_20-8-11.png
    816.2 KB · Views: 1
So this isn't too high? Pardon his mess, I just cleaned it too.

Attachments

• 0401181637.jpg
    0401181637.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 4
Heres a brighter version. Sorry it's too dark or too bright, didn't feel like messing with my phone camera today. :p0401181638a.jpg

Latest posts

Back