Can't Litter Train My 2 Neutered & Spayed Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

layla20

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have 2 house bunnies Layla(about 9 months) & Hamish (7 months). Both have been altered, and are rebonded after this (they fought and we had to seperate them until hormones settled.)
They have no concept of "pooing" in their open cage & litter box-which are both located away from each other to ensure they have a litter tray near them if they need to poop. We've tried putting hay in the litter boxes, and putting their poo's in the box to show them.

They both urinate in the litter tray most of the time (we still have the odd accident) but generally the poo's are scattered all over the place (which I know is a terrortorial thing.)

I don't know what to do!!:bunnydance::happybunny::litterhealthy:

If just a few of their poops are scattered, that is territorial. If a whole lot is dumped in one place, that is something else.

Were they using the litter box better before they were spayed?

Are the litter boxes the size of a large cat litter box, so they can lie down in them & much on hay?

They weren't particularly good before. They were probably the same.

Yeah it's quite a big litter box & they've also got a plastic cage which we leave the metal crate top off. So they've got plenty of places to poo & yet they choose the floor!! Literally they are scattered everywhere...

I have a litter box in the cage and I have one outside as well and mine use both. I couldn´t see if you had another litter box for them when they´re out of the cage. Mine do occasional poops outside but now not very many.

I would try adding a second litter box...I had a similar problem with a pair...with just one litter box in their cage. I did some reading and one suggestion was giving them each their own litter box. It makes sense as the reason they are so easy to litter train is because they go in the same place. That is hard to do when you have to share! It made all the difference for my two! Good luck!

How long has it been since they have been reintroduced?

Mine had a territorial "poop war" for about two weeks after I brought Appledot home. It drove me crazy.
But after that they slowly started getting better, learned how to share the litterboxes, and now they're nearly perfect. I think the only stray poops are ones that get stuck to their feet when they hop out.

I would make sure there is lots and lots of hay available in or right next to the litter boxes. I bought this litterbox and the buns LOVE it. http://www.etsy.com/listing/108054485/rabbit-litter-box-hay-feeder-2-free

It's been 1 week since they were reintroduced. I've noticed it's mainly the boy who does random poo's & lots of them.

I have moved one litter box to a different part of the room away from the open cage & I'll look to buy a few more litter trays to spread around the room. I fill our existing ones with hay to encourage them, so I'll continue that. It's when he hops around the room when he's bored of eating he'll hop around & do poo's everywhere.

Latest posts

Back