Can't find local Harlequins

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allie_Bear

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in north central Florida and cannot find any Harlequin breeders.
Or, I find one or two in neighboring states and they don't reply to emails.
Anyone know of one near me? I'm close to Gainesville, but could travel to Georgia or South
Carolina.
I'm not completely limited to Harlequins but my wife and I have had two in the
past and loved them. I was also looking at Thriantas. Seemed like a nice breed for older
husband/wife pair.

Thanks

Bump...
Is my question in the wrong forum or just a tough question?
I believe it may just be a tough question. Also it may be that people are just taking a while to respond. While I can’t exactly help your situation because I don’t live in Florida, I recommend that you check any shelters there to see if there are any harlequins. I know there are no absence of rabbit friendly shelters in Florida so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a shelter close to you. Plus, even if you don’t find it harlequin, you may fall in love with a different rabbit there based on its personality (which is good because the breed doesn’t 100% determine the temperament). Though no matter what you do, I wish you the best of luck on finding your perfect bunny!

Harlequins are a rare breed, so it might be a bit difficult to find them. When I got my harlequins I got them from a breeder in Georgia who was getting out partially because there wasn't really anyone there to show against. You might want to check about upcoming rabbit shows and visit those shows, and ask around to some different breeders about where to find a harlequin. You're most certainly going to have to go to a breeder to get a harlequin, anything called a harlequin that ends up in shelters is going to be a harlequin colored mixed breed. Unfortunately, there aren't very many breeders on this forum so this probably isn't your best place to ask around.

Harlequins are a rare breed, so it might be a bit difficult to find them. When I got my harlequins I got them from a breeder in Georgia who was getting out partially because there wasn't really anyone there to show against. You might want to check about upcoming rabbit shows and visit those shows, and ask around to some different breeders about where to find a harlequin. You're most certainly going to have to go to a breeder to get a harlequin, anything called a harlequin that ends up in shelters is going to be a harlequin colored mixed breed. Unfortunately, there aren't very many breeders on this forum so this probably isn't your best place to ask around.
What is the difference between Harlequin breed and just harlequin-colored? I thought it's only way of describing their color not breed

Harlequin colored would be a variety, but is also a breed. For example, there is a Himalayan breed but several other breeds have created a variety of their breed with Himi markings. The same has been done with Tans...you have the Tan breed but some other breeds have created a variety with Tan markings.

I believe it may just be a tough question. Also it may be that people are just taking a while to respond. While I can’t exactly help your situation because I don’t live in Florida, I recommend that you check any shelters there to see if there are any harlequins. I know there are no absence of rabbit friendly shelters in Florida so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a shelter close to you. Plus, even if you don’t find it harlequin, you may fall in love with a different rabbit there based on its personality (which is good because the breed doesn’t 100% determine the temperament). Though no matter what you do, I wish you the best of luck on finding your perfect bunny!
I feel for the bunnies who are at the shelters, but a pet is one that will be with the family for many years. First, we don't want to miss the period when the
bunny is a baby. The rabbit ends up growing up with the family and we get to experience all the silliness of a young bunny, just like a kitten or puppy. Those are
priceless times. I've uploaded a photo of our baby Allie. She was such a hoot when she was that age when we picked her up. Just watching her try to stand up on
her hind legs and loose her balance and fall backwards is just something seared in my memory; or tugging at my jeans...which we had to teach her not to do. Some bunnies
in shelters can have come from bad homes and have emotional problems brought on by bad owners. I really hate to put it that way and I know that many, many people are
satisfied with their bunnies from shelters, but we have our selfish reasons for wanting one of our own.

Attachments

• Baby_Allie1.jpg
    Baby_Allie1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Majorv, but I've already seen that.
This is the only one close enough for me to drive, but Debra has not yet responded to several
emails. She could just be busy; I hope.

South Carolina
Debra Dolph
Columbia, SC
www.amathamdirrabbitry.weebly.com
[email protected]

Coincidentally, Debra just replied to me on my other email address. So, hopefully she can help.
I'm still all ears for any other suggestions.
Thank you

I believe the ARBA convention is going on right now, and many breeders spend months gearing up for it. Not an excuse, but a possible explanation. Have you checked the ARBA website for rabbit shows in your surrounding area? You might also get some leads by talking to breeders or judges there. Thriantas might be easier to find.

If you’re dead set on a harlequin then making a trip to the convention or that breed’s Nationals is also an option. Fellow breeders transport rabbits all the time, but it would mean getting a rabbit based on pictures and the breeder’s reputation.

That brings up a question. It's always good to see multiple rabbits to see their personalities, but it seems many breeders won't allow visitors to their place so as to limit the possibility of diseases brought by people to their bunnies....so they say. So, how to check out more than one or two? Our last bunny was brought to a common meeting place and we could check her out there. Is that the norm? I really do wish I could see ten rabbits behaviors to choose from. I guess it just depends on the breeder?

Have you contacted Gainesville Rabbit Rescue? They are constantly rescuing bunnies, and the litters of babies that are born to adults that humans don't care to keep.

http://www.gainesvillerabbitrescue.org/

I hear you on Harlequins. My gal in the avatar, was taken off the euthanization floor moments before the injection, when I stepped into the room where the shelter injections were done.
I never regret taking her in. \ Since my girl's passing, we have welcomed 2 harlequns of various sizes into our home. Blondies, like my avatar girl. Their personalites are way different ! Both of them were unwanted.

Hope you can get in touch with GRR - or keep an eye on the numerous bunnies (babies born to moms that were abandoned, or people contact them saying "unable to care for") that GRR helps. They truly rely on humans to help save lives. i.e. Shelters constantly euthanizing due to space and not enough homes.

We took in more than 30-35 rabbits from various shelters or unwanted situations; their personalities changed Immensely in an enviroment where they could establish trust with their human.

-It's awesome to see the transformation coming from a home that viewed 'em as commodity objects to sell or dispose of, versus a caregiver human who's willing to spend the time, patience, and interactive care to help them trust. Too many stories here to mention about transformations that occured once out of "certain" environments. People are clueless in many ways when it comes to lifelong rabbit care and bunny language.

My girl Karla w/the ear tattoo was captured as a stray, she sat in the quarantine room for 7-days as a typical stray hold and got some flea treatment, and she had major trust concerns. I was so darn glad I came upon her on the euthanization floor moments before she would have been destroyed.

She turned into a Love Bug, constantly grooming me, and her hubby (another shelter intake who had territorial aggression), and two other sp/eutered in the bunny room. Yes, it's very neat to go to a rescue and talk to the guardians who can describe all of their rescued-intake personalities. alot of babies are born to discarded mothers ... many times shelters don't want to keep babies ~ and stress for nursing mom with babies is not recommended.

Allie Bear, 16 babies were born in our home after the abandoned females were captured. You are right, all their personalities can be different. From baby to adulthood to seniors. Seniors tend to mellow. The babies' moms were strays living on the street until hubby captured them.

My SnowB, a mini rex no longer wanted by the child, was our 1st adopted bun from the shelter. she was about 7 month. She was a challenge when we first brought her home. She turned into an Enormous kisser to her n/male hubby, and groomed me continually once she mellowed with age. Her personality was so cute, but those first months were challenging.

Wherever you decide to obtain your companion family member, he or she will be fortunate for the forever home you provide for the next 10-13/14 years.

Allie Bear, we took in a Tan who was going to be destroyed at an overfull shelter in Illinois. Took him time to settle in and he despised being held and picked up. For a long time.

As he mellowed, omg! He became a bondmate to another n/male dutch and a routine kisser that I could hold/cuddle/cradle similar to a human baby.

Maybe try Petfinder.com to find and adopt a Harlequin rabbit in your area. I found my bunny Hawkeye on there from a local rabbit rescue I would of never known about if I didn’t come across that site. You can type in what type of pet your looking for and how far your willing to travel to find one and even more specifications. Most pets are pictured so you know what they look like before you arrange to meet them. I had a great experience, hopefully it would be helpful to you also. Hope you and your wife find your new furry friend!

If you want a youngster then personality isn’t quite as obvious at a young age. Behavior is more apparent when they’re a little older.

If we sold a rabbit as a pet we met the person somewhere else. We typically sold to other breeders, though, and then it was at a rabbit show or at convention.

As the previous posters mentioned, you might find a different (or mixed) breed rabbit with harlequin markings at a shelter. If you’re set on the Harlequin breed then you’ll need to work with a breeder. She could send you pictures of the kits she has available and you could also ask about going to visit once the kits are ready for sale.

I know of the GRR. Respectfully, I don't care for being essentially labeled as the bad guy though. I did not buy an Easter bunny for my kid and then dump the rabbit a few weeks later. We are and were responsible, loving bunny owners. Our first "child" was the neighbors as they let it go into the wild before they left on vacation. We took her in and loved her, despite some of her neurosis which I'm pretty sure was due to those owners . Our second was from a breeder who handled and loved her until we picked her up and she was all ours from a baby.
Thanks for your suggestions.

That brings up a question. It's always good to see multiple rabbits to see their personalities, but it seems many breeders won't allow visitors to their place so as to limit the possibility of diseases brought by people to their bunnies....so they say. So, how to check out more than one or two? Our last bunny was brought to a common meeting place and we could check her out there. Is that the norm? I really do wish I could see ten rabbits behaviors to choose from. I guess it just depends on the breeder?

This is absolutely the norm. Not only does it help the safety of the rabbits (for disease control - especially as the young rabbits that don't have much immune system built up yet are often in the same place as the ones for sale) but also there is an unfortunate amount of anti-breeder folk who sometimes target breeders and their rabbitries, so it's safest for all involved to meet at a neutral location. If you explain that you want to see some different personalities they often can bring a few to choose from to the meeting place, though they probably have a good idea of the rabbit's personalities beforehand. Some breeders might not want to do that though - travelling to this other location can be stressful to the rabbits. Alternatively if you want to see a bunch of different rabbits before purchase you can go to a rabbit show. There the breeder has probably already loaded up and brought a good number of sale rabbits, so you'd probably have more to choose from.

Latest posts

Back