Candy has a very sudden case of diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
Candy is a food ninja.

She was doing well, eating, pooping, etc etc.

I left a cup of Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride tea on my end table. I went up to go to the bathroom.

She slurped the entire thing down in less than 4 minutes. oh, homeless rescue rabbits that have had to forage their entire lives.....

The ingredients aren't all that fantastic, but they aren't anything that would kill her. It's milk thistle, roasted barley, orange peel, and vanilla bean. I had sweetened it with agave nectar. None of these are particularly "bunnyfied" but there really isn't anything there that'll hurt her- barley is part of rabbit feed, milk thistle is an herbal thing, and she's eaten orange peel/orange slices before. She likes them. Agave nectar, while yes it's sugar, I really don't see how there was enough to upset her stomach......

She was fine for a while, then we went sit outside together. She hopped about my herb plants and ate off of some of my potted herbs. She ate a good amount of mint, a touch of rosemary, some oregano, but mostly ate the mint. Which is actually quite good for rabbit stomachs.

She had her normal pellets and her normal orchard grass. She's still eating and drinking fine.

But she has EXTREME gas and poops. Her poops are very very soft, and they ain't cecotrophs (no smell, wrong shape). they're very soft fecal pellets. She has pretty bad diarrhea.

She has really bad gas, too. I can hear her stomach from across the room, making a lot of gassy noises.

I gave her some Metacam and some Mylicon. I have been rubbing her tummy. She's actually really perky and is STILL eating a lot of hay, I'm just worried by the very sudden onset of the poops.

Does anyone have anything to add? If it's still going on, she's going to the vet in the morning.

It settled down today. She was really active the whole time and never quit eating. She ate some fresh basil and all of her hay, kept drinking, etc. So I think she's out of the clear.

I've never heard such a loud rabbit stomach, including the huge hairballs my other has gotten. I'm glad she's doing better tho.

For future reference, Pull all food for 24 hours and keep the bunny on water, hay, and oats. We feed our rabbits quick oats from the dollar store. It is great for runny poo! It will clear it up almost immediately!! Glad the bun is doing well though!! :)

Latest posts

Back