Candles?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnySilver

Bella - Owned by Silver
Reaction score
Sort of a random question but just wondering. Silver is in my room with me of course and I was just wondering if it would be OK if I were to burn a candle in there from time to time. I know that air sprays are a nope, but just wondering about candles.

I hope no one thinks this sounds self centered! I have never done it before though with him and of course want what's safe and best :)

I can't remember the details, but from memory I think it's generally not recommended, especially if the candles are scented. If you are going to burn them, I would suggest leaving a window or door open, and only burning soy candles.

My vet believes part of the reason my rabbit got sick is from me burning my candle so it's def. Not best.

Taylor
&
Lucas

Ok. Good to know. They would be scented candles so I will not burn any while he is around. Thank you very much!

I think it's generally not safe to burn candles around rabbits just because you don't know what sorts of chemicals could be in the wax. There are candles made that are safe for pets. I would do an internet search and see if you can find some pet-safe candles. :)

Very good to know! I'm glad that you asked this question because I was about to put a Scentsy burner in Barry's room. He's such a stinky little buck.

Hm... I never knew candles were bad for rabbits... or air fresheners. I have an oil diffuser right next to Nessa's cage and I burn candles all the time (I'm actually burning one right now). She's never had a problem with it. She actually seems to really love my mint and sage scented candle. She'll sniff the air then binky, haha. :) Interesting to know this information though..

I can't remember the details, but from memory I think it's generally not recommended, especially if the candles are scented. If you are going to burn them, I would suggest leaving a window or door open, and only burning soy candles.
Are soy candles 100% okay, or just better than non-soy candles? I make candles sometimes and only make soy candles (scented). I like to burn them on my desk which is quite near the bunny area.

I would think if candles were safe for people they would be OK for rabbits.

I would think if candles were safe for people they would be OK for rabbits.

Not always the case I'm afraid, rabbits have more sensitive respiratory systems, the same with birds. There are some things that birds respond very badly too and just die from.

Are soy candles 100% okay, or just better than non-soy candles? I make candles sometimes and only make soy candles (scented). I like to burn them on my desk which is quite near the bunny area.

I'm not sure, I think generally they're just better than non-soy, but if they're also scented, I think it depends on what you're using from that too. If you're using natural scents as opposed to artificial scents that would be better too.

I don't think there's anything in candles that would be toxic to a rabbit. Birds can die if they breathe in PTFE that's in the air when nonstick cookware is overheated. I guess enough PTFE could probably kill a human too but we're much larger and our respiratory systems aren't as sensitive. If there's good ventilation in the room and you're sure the rabbit couldn't get near the flame or knock the candle over and start a fire, then I'd say occasionally burning candles would be alright.

This is definitely good to know! We keep all our animals with us in the living room and sometimes I'll burn a candle when we have company, so the house doesn't smell like the pets lol. I would think that organic or beeswax candles would be ok, just be cautious about reading the ingredients in them before you burn them in the same room.

I wouldn't burn incense around them though or use air fresheners near them. I wouldn't trust the chemicals in those air fresheners and incense's produce a lot of smoke and concentrated scent that could be harmful to a little bunny.

Latest posts

Back