Quantcast

Canada winter friendly outdoor tunnel for Flemish

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

CritterCountry

Reaction score
Hi. We have a beautiful outdoor bunny house for our crew. We have 4 rabbits ranging in size from a Netherland Dwarf to a Flemish (so far they really are all female-fingers crossed!). They have their own house they share and have an outdoor run (already 5’x12’ and plans to enlarge). I’d like to make a tunnel that will attach their house and their run. But I want it to be accessible all year round-we live in the prairies so our winters are typically -25 with lows reaching - 40 for a few weeks (translates to -13 to -40 Fahrenheit). I expect it will need
To be insulated and we want to keep it above ground, to be accessible to them. Any ideas re: diameter required? The gals are only 4 months old now but I’d like to make it the right size for full grown!

Attachments

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a photo of the hutch and run so we can see (1) the distance and (2) how the hutch and run are made (to ascertain how something like a tunnel may attach)?

CritterCountry

Reaction score
We are in the midst of making it (the shed) comfy: Insulation, Windows and enrichment)...The shed is 8’x 5’x8’. There is only about a 2ft gap between it and the run....and the run is 6’x12’....we may enlarge it this season or next. No plans to breed or add more bunnies (and we “think” all are female-lol)

Attachments

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I house my rabbits indoors. Is that something you've considered?

As for the run, is it able to be moved or is it anchored to the ground? Somehow a hole will need to be made in the fencing to allow for entry from the shed. I was thinking it might be easiest to move the run right up against the shed and then have something like a doggy door on the side of the shed that goes directly into the run.

It sounds like it gets extremely cold where you live. Perhaps some others who have experience housing rabbits outdoors in extreme cold will chime in with suggestions.

Toffee and Valentina

Reaction score
Hi from Vancouver. I don't know if your buns would enjoy or survive Prairie winters.... And your summers might be too hot for them. My buns are indoors so I can't add too much value. I could not tell if you have a roof over the pen but you should. Make sure your buns are protected from overhead predators. All the best!

Latest posts