Can you walk a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no benefit for your bunny and it can cause serious stress and injury. They should have plenty of room 24/7 so they can exercise when they want. Free roaming is great if you don't have other pets and you thoroughly bunny proof.

Giving your rabbit exercise is an important part of your bunny's health. They should have a very roomy cage (or a cage that opens into an exercise pen area) so they can have room to hop about when the mood strikes.

Many of us here on RO allow our rabbits to free-roam --- basically hop about the home (or certain rooms) to get their exercise. The area should be bunny-proofed to protect your belongings and to prevent bunny from getting hurt from eating something he should not.

Harnesses aren't typically recommended or encouraged -- especially not for indoor exercise. It simply isn't necessary. They can move more freely without it. [The exception of course would be for those who do jumping or agility competition.]

You have the right idea of wanting your bunny to get exercise. It is most easily done by simply providing a safe space for them to run around as they desire.

I'm including a video showing my rabbits free-roaming about our home to give an idea of why a harness simply is not a good idea. In the video, there are both binkies (happy jumps) and dashes (fast runs). It will be easy to see how there is no way they can "dash" like that if restrained by a harness. Even with some of their twisting jumps, it would be easy to get tangled if in a harness.

And here's a tutorial on how to begin free-roaming (or partially free-roaming):
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/free-roaming-how-to.html

And here's a 20 second clip that shows an example of an exercise pen being used to provide more space around a cage. If you don't already provide such space, you may want to consider doing so.

And the video also provides another example of a natural bunny 'happy dance' that just couldn't be done if she was stuck in a harness (not without getting tangled anyway).

I agree with everyone else. Exercise is great for rabbits but I don’t recommend harnesses. Even if it’s not stressful for him to wear, it could get caught, tangled, or slip off and who knows what else.

if you want to take him outside, if you have a secure garden - no gaps in the fences etc, you could definitely do that. As long as he’s vaccinated with the RHDV2 vaccine and the myxomatosis/RHDV1 vaccine - most vets are offering a 3-in-1 vaccine now though. And just make sure there are no poisonous plants too

My rabbits love it in the garden - lots of exploring to be done :)

The rhd virus isn't just in the states. It actually just started being more prevalent here in the US in the past year. RHD1, RHD2, and myxo have been common viruses in the UK for a few decades. So it's much more common there and in Europe then it is here. Which is why vaccinations are common there and easy to have done, unlike in the US.

If you want to have your rabbit outside, I would first make sure the rabbit is up to date on the rhd1, rhd2, and myxo vaccinations. If your rabbit is, some rabbits can be leash trained using an H harness, and some will totally freak out and should never have a leash and harness on them as they could injure themselves.

Leash training can pose a risk of severe fear response in some rabbits and possible shock and cardiac arrest could be the result. If it is attempted, it should start indoors in a safe and controlled environment, allowing the rabbit to slowly get used to the feel of having a harness on. I would keep a short tight leash so that if the rabbit does freak and tries to run, the leash won't snap tight and yank back on the rabbit risking injuring them. And if the rabbit does freak, leash training should stop immediately.

Keep in mind though, having a harness and leash on a rabbit doesn't mean you can take them out on a walk. It's more they walk you. You stand there, they hop a few steps, you follow. If leash training is attempted, it needs to be done with extreme caution. Personally I find it much easier to just set up a playpen for them to hop around in(continually supervised if not in a predator secure pen).

My yard is completely fenced and has few plants other than grass and dirt so I let my rabbit roam freely for at least half an hour almost every day. She comes when called and enjoys it a lot binkying everywhere. Of course I am always there watching her and I never put anything, not even fertilizer, on my plants. Maybe if you have a small fenced area outside you could let your bun roam. I stay away from harnesses usually because my friend’s rabbit spooked when on a harness and broke a bone by trying to get out of it.

While i respect everyone else's posts, i must say that it is possible. OF COURSE, you have to watch a bit more for them and notice chemical signs, etc. But i have had Ekko for going on 7 months now(she was 5 months when i got her) and has even started to run with me(on leash of course). Not very often, but Somedays she just has no interest in going outside with me or she wont run but will walk. but who doesn't have days where they don't want to do things? you can take them to certain classes or agility training. But Ekko's success is due to good old fashioned persistence.....And possibly a small percentage was the mini treats she got as a slight persuasion. Its winter here now, so she doesn't get out much since they get pneumonia very easily. But buns are able to learn a lot. You just need to practice repetition with whatever the task, have a few treats along the way for rewards (just as you would dogs) and if you can have the patience for it.. They WILL learn. If you live in an area with lots of lawns, or a park space they will likely post signs saying it is sprayed, or the dates that they will do so. sometimes i will even walk the route i take her a day ahead and keep an eye out. Any dogs i hear in backyards or see on streets, etc. Just so that i can ensure her safety aswell. there will always be things to watch out for while outside... but if your scared to live life, is it worth living??

Good Luck!
And be sure to keep a sharp eye out for them while outdoors :)

I agree, it is possible. There are many people that have trained their rabbits for those agility courses, and the rabbits do really well being on a leash. I had a rabbit that I taught from a baby, about having a leash on(h harness w/bungee leash). I would take him with me outside to feed my horse, and he would enjoy hopping around out there with me(though of course safely away from the horse).

We just don't want any newbies to be under the impression that rabbits are at all like dogs and you can just slap a leash on them and expect them to behave or know what to do. That there are actually risks in putting a leash on a rabbit. That not doing it correctly could result in serious injury.

So, yes, if done correctly and with precautions, if someone takes the time to train their rabbit how to do it, it can be a fun and enriching exercise for them. But also keeping in mind there may be some rabbits that by nature, are too anxious and scared, and it wouldn't ever be a good idea to even try with them. Except maybe for someone very patient and experienced working with rabbits.

It's definitely possible, but I feel as though a lot of us would rather be safe than sorry I suppose. Not that you don't care for your rabbit or anything! You obviously do since you are on here asking questions and want to do it the right way!!:) I used to have my past rabbit harness trained, but when I spoke with The House Rabbit Society of Wisconsin they really opened my eyes to what really can happen. Especially with RhDv2. It can be transmitted from the ground, clothes, grass, anything at this point. I don't want to speak for anyone so it may just be me who's a SUPER worry wart lol I just decided to invest in a pet stroller and it was the best choice for me and my buns personally! My anxiety doesn't flare up now when I want to take my buns outside and most importantly theirs doesn't either :)

It is good that people know what the risks are when leash walking their rabbit. Once someone makes up their mind that using a leash is what they are going to do, I think it is best to give some information on how to do it safely so that their rabbit doesn't get hurt. It is kind of like telling your teenager not to have sex, but if they are going to do it, use birth control!

May be a tad late to this thread but I do a variation of walking my rabbits outside.

I live in an apartment building so my rabbits get very happy at any chance to go outside. When out there they have a harness on which is attached to a leash wrapped around my arm. At first they tried to test how far they could go but after a few minutes they settle into an acceptable range so they can just eat grass and sun bathe. They even manage to make a friend out of a stray cat who now comes by and meows to see if they can come out and play.

Obviously my bunnies might be the outliers but just want people to know it is possible and quite enjoyable for bunnies to be on a leash if done properly.

Latest posts

Back