Can you use cube grids outdoors without them going rusty?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karaliene

Reaction score
As some of you might know, I'm in the process of renovating my playhouse for rabbits. I plan on installing a cat-flap to a permanently available run on a patio. Would cube grids work? I'm thinking that metal would be more hygienic than wood - so that's why I'm considering cube grids.

I have certain ways that I can fix it to the playhouse (cable ties / zip ties, etc.) so they wouldn't be able to shift it and escape - so my only concern is rust. Will they be okay outdoors permanently?

I would use wood so that your rabbit can't chew on the cage bars. If you do decide to use wire I would use welded wire because it has a rust resitant coat on it. Make sure the welded wire has 1/2 inch openings to keep your rabbit safe. Also, a raccoon could easily stick its hand through the cube grids and strangle your rabbits so make sure the openings are tiny.

Thanks, @Mariam+Theo, for the advice! I won't worry about raccoons because I'm from the UK, and we're remarkably predator-free except for some dogs where I live. I think the dogs chased off the foxes - at least that's what the neighbors say! I'll have a lookout for some DIY plans and see which I'll be able to find easiest. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back