Can you test for Cancer??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
Well, I had some unsettling news yesterday. One of Zeke's litter mates passed away yesterday. The necropsy shows possible kidney cancer.

The scary thing is that a month ago, another litter mate died of liver cancer.

I'm terrified that Zeke might have cancer too and is just not showing any signs of being sick. Both sisters acted fine, showing no symptoms of being ill until one died in my arms and the other was found dead in the morning.

So is there any way I can get Zeke tested? Will his white blood count be elevated?

--Dawn

They can do several things, including blood work and x-ray/scans. It can get expensive, though.

When Cooper's tumor turned out to be malignant, I asked our vet about testing to be sure it hadn't metastasized. He said the labs and x-rays would run about $500.

My vet was able to palpate Cooper's lymph nodes and determined that they were normal, so we didn't do any further testing. The condition of the lymph nodes is a big indicator in the detection of cancer.

So by getting his lymph nodes checked could help tell if he has cancer?

I think I'm going to talk to my vet about it and maybe a few other local vets to see what they thing is reasonable.

I would hate for my baby to be suffering, and for me to not realise it to help him.

Both girls had cancer on vital organs though. So if he does have cancer, I'm not sure anything could be done but treat for pain.

--Dawn

I think I would start by doing a full blood panel. If anything is out of whack, that will usually show something. Just a reasonable starting point.

Randy

Liver and kidney values can be tested for about $20 at my vet, not sure what a full blood panel would cost but it can't be too bad. I think that would be a very good idea as organ function abnormalities would show, and would also show increased levels of white blood cells (although I don't know if cancer causes an immune system reaction like that?).

Prayers for Zeke and his sibs. :pray:

The little stinker is being a brat and scaring mommy... He's not taking treats right now... I tried craisins, pellets and granola bar (which normally he begs for).

He's also lying down and looking uncomfortable. I got some gas meds in him in case it's gas. At least Baxter is lying with him.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see if I can get a blood panel done. My stomach feels like it's tied in knots. I can't stand to lose another one...

--Dawn

Is he moulting right now? His sibblings here sure are, and they're pretty quiet. Especially Jordan.

Sherry is moulting, too, and she'sparticularlybad. Even before she ate the rice, she had gone through a couple bouts of refusing dinner and treats, including one bad gas attack probably stemming fromingesting all that hair.

Where are the rest of thesibblings now? Who hadthe one with kidney cancer? Did they get a written necropsy report? Did you ever get a copy of Cookie's necropsy?

Give me a call if you like. Haven'theard from you in awhile, sorry you're having to worry aboutZeke. :(

sas :hug1

Zeke is still being lethargic and not eating.

He's not moulting, but Baxter is always losing fur and Zeke is always grooming him. Zeke normally eats a ton of hay though.

I'm taking Zeke in to the vets this afternoon. I have to leave work early for a doctors appointment anyways, I'll just leave a bit earlier.

I gave Zeke more gas meds and a syringe of diluted juice this morning. He was not impressed...

He is not interested in pellets, hay, or any type of treat I give him. His ears are cold and he's not moving very much. Sitting all huddled up.

When I take him to the vets, I'm going to get them to do a full blood panel and give him some sub-q fluids. I'm going to break out the pumpkin when I get home too.

I'm going to contact SARS and ask for copies of both Cookie's and Sara's necropsy reports. Sara was staying with Andrea in Chilliwack, has been since I went to Australia last Christmas.

--Dawn

Zeke seems to be feeling better. I came home early from work so I could give him some pumpkin before my doctors appointment, but I won't have to now.

He's eating pellets and it looks like he ate some hay too. He ate a carrot top too.

He's still not super active, but none of my guys are active during the day, it's all one big siesta to them.

I had made an appointment for the vets for 6pm, but I'm still going to take him. I want to get a blook panel done. I think I'll call and let them know he's no longer acting funny though.

What timing though... The day I find out another of his siblings dies of cancer, he starts acting funny.

--Dawn

Well, I decided against taking Zeke to the vet today. He hates travelling so I didn't want to stress him out and send him back into stasis.

I'm still going to go get a full blood panel done, but I'll do it next week.

He's acting like nothing was wrong right now. Little stinker is rubbing it in...

I am concerned that this was a sign of some underlaying problem. It may be from ingested fur, but I'd rather not chance it.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back