Can you leave a bunny alone for a few hours after neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McNuggets

Reaction score
I´m getting my bunny neutered on monday, something I want to get done asap since I am working full time and need to be able to bond him with a friend. But I am also working the evening shift on monday, meaning I would have to leave him alone for ~5 hours after he gets back home from the vet. The idea of this makes me wildly uncomfortable, but I also would rather avoid asking for a day off since I´ve only been working at my current job for two weeks, and have already missed days because of illness, so it doesn´t look very good taking a day off (not to mention I really need the money).

Anybody got any ideas or advice on how I can handle this? Moving the veterinary appointment won´t really solve anything since I work evenings every week day and will be in the same position no matter what (and I am also pretty stressed out about leaving him alone when working, and want to start bonding him with a mate).

Upon reflection I´ve decided that I am not comfortable with the idea of leaving him alone either way, so I am simply going to level with my boss and explain the situation. Then I´ll ask for a day off to perform aftercare, but as a sign of good will offer to postpone the procedure a bit because of the short notice, and simply hope that he says that it isn´t necessary (he seems like a pretty decent guy, so either way I´m sure we´ll come to some kind of satisfactory solution)

We've had more than 30 females neutered and around 25 males--never had a problem. They were fully awake when we picked them up and all did very well--the only problem was keeping them in their hutches for a week so they could heal. One girl took out most of her outer stitches, at night after she slipped her collar of course--she got staples and only got a third of them out. We weren't watching them all the time and really had no problem. The main thing is to have a Vet familiar with bunnies and ours did several spays and neuters a week.

We've had more than 30 females neutered and around 25 males--never had a problem. They were fully awake when we picked them up and all did very well--the only problem was keeping them in their hutches for a week so they could heal. One girl took out most of her outer stitches, at night after she slipped her collar of course--she got staples and only got a third of them out. We weren't watching them all the time and really had no problem. The main thing is to have a Vet familiar with bunnies and ours did several spays and neuters a week.

That´s actually reassuring to hear, since I´m a bit worried regarding all this. I´m not usually an overly neurotic person, but when it comes to animals I tend to worry myself sick... I´m still gonna try and find a way to stay home with him either way though. Even if it is not necessary from a practical point of view I just can´t bear the thought of leaving him alone when I think of the whole scenario from his point of view. He would basically be a child who has just gone through something unbelievably stressful and confusing, sitting home alone, in pain, for hours with no idea what the heck is happening. Maybe it´s just my bleeding heart exaggerating, but I can´t stand the whole idea. I want to be able to be there and provide him with companionship and a sense of security when he comes home.

My male neutered was extremely easy compared to my female. He would have been fine for a few hours after by himself however I certainly understand not wanting to leave him alone.
just a suggestion- do you have a blink camera or something similar? Whenever I need to leave I plug it in and I can see and talk to my bunnies whenever I feel the need (which is often)

Upon reflection I´ve decided that I am not comfortable with the idea of leaving him alone either way, so I am simply going to level with my boss and explain the situation. Then I´ll ask for a day off to perform aftercare, but as a sign of good will offer to postpone the procedure a bit because of the short notice, and simply hope that he says that it isn´t necessary (he seems like a pretty decent guy, so either way I´m sure we´ll come to some kind of satisfactory solution)
That sounds like a good solution. In my experience employers are usually happy to accommodate a request for leave that's going to happen way off in the future. That also gives you some time to establish some goodwill with your employer.

I explained everything to my boss, and he was very sympathethic to my situation. I offered to postpone the procedure because of the short notice, but he gave me monday off saying I mights as well get it done since I have the procedure booked. I have volountarily signed up for the evening shift for six months (which is basically a **** job that no one wants, and where they have trouble finding people willing to work), so I think he considers it a bit quid pro quo :)

I explained everything to my boss, and he was very sympathethic to my situation. I offered to postpone the procedure because of the short notice, but he gave me monday off saying I mights as well get it done since I have the procedure booked. I have volountarily signed up for the evening shift for six months (which is basically a **** job that no one wants, and where they have trouble finding people willing to work), so I think he considers it a bit quid pro quo :)
That's great!!

Latest posts

Back