Can you have two boy rabbits together in the one hutch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfs

Reaction score
We have baby lionhead rabbits, and have someone looking to buy two.. I know sisters can be ok together but can brothers if together from birth? Otherwise she could neuter them?

Before I knew anything about rabbits, I bought two male litter mates thinking they were bonded because they were in the same cage at the pet store. I was wrong. A week after I got them, they started to fight. I separated them, had them neutered, and tried to bond them. I gave up after the first try because they started fighting right away and it was pretty violent. Other people might have different experiences, but I personally would never put two male rabbits together again unless they were adults who had been previously neutered and acted at least somewhat friendly on their first meeting. They may get along as babies, but once they start to reach sexual maturity, that all goes away.

i have seen some people make it work. but most of the time. no. most will start to fight when they hit about 4-5 months old. maybe if you get them fixed before they mature that might work. but i am not sure. keeping rabbits together has always been a difficult subject.

I had two males from the same litter that never were separated before and surprisingly never had any problems, but this is just my experience and I'd be very careful if I were you. Good luck!

Unless you can be absolutely sure they're going to have them neutered before they start fighting one another, I don't think it's a good idea. They will start fighting and then once they've fought it's harder to bond after neutering. Male bunnies can be bonded. But you need to stress the importance of keeping them separate before neutering. Though the exact same can be said for a male and female rabbit but for other obvious reasons ;)

My two boys are brothers from the same litter. It can work, but both MUST be neutered the moment they hit puberty. There's no waiting a week or two about it, if you want to preserve the bond and keep them from fighting, the very day you see one start humping the other, a neutering appointment for both has to be made for within the next few days.

So if she insists on taking two boys she should prep by picking a good rabbit vet for the neuters by the time they turn 3-4 months old.

I have two males together. I tried to have one neutered last week but his testies havent dropped yet but the other is getting neutered next week instead

Latest posts

Back