Can you guys help in sexing my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendrix

Reaction score
I've had Hendrix since early May- I got him when he was 7 weeks old! I've always just called him a boy, I don't know why. I didn't want to trance him to find out his real gender because I know that can be scary and dangerous for rabbits if not done by a professional. I was planning on waiting until I took him to the vet to be fixed, but I just took some pictures holding him and I'm not sure if I am noticing a vulva in the pictures or it's possibly too blurry/furry down there! Can his sex be determined from these pics?

Attachments

• IMG_7653.JPG
    IMG_7653.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7656.jpg
    IMG_7656.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 20
Both he's and she's have slits like that so it's hard to know unless you gently apply pressure (or if you see baggy balls then it's a he which is hard to see since that pal is so floofy)
I'll look up a bunny sexing page for you, pretty sure i saw it floating around here!

Hi, love the name Hendrix, even if it's a she :)

I don't think we could say anything from your photo, here's some pics how to do that
>>Sexing rabbit pictures!

But at 4 months you might be able to find his testicles if it's a boy. Just keep him (?) relaxed on your lap and massage his belly, then check with your hand if you can feel any symmetrical lumps in his private area.

Here we have sometimes new bunny owners are getting scared because testicles look like something dangerous, like in this thread, at least you can see in pics what to look for.

No offense, I've been there myself at least twice, when I adopted a girl 8 week old and then she had testicles, then I adopted a boy 9 week old and she had no testicles at all. I was shocked.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/what-is-this-on-my-bunny.95049/
In your photo we can't see testicles but it can be if it's a girl and will never have them, or in males testicles usually drop sometime between 9 and 16 weeks, depending on your rabbit. Judging from his size at 4 months if it's a boy you should be able to find them already. I've heard of Netherland dwarf who's testicles dropped only at 6 months.

One more thread

Could my gurl bunny be a BOY?

Last edited:
Here we have sometimes new bunny owners are getting scared because testicles look like something dangerous, like in this thread, at least you can see in pics what to look for.

No offense, I've been there myself at least twice, when I adopted a girl 8 week old and then she had testicles, then I adopted a boy 9 week old and she had no testicles at all. I was shocked.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/what-is-this-on-my-bunny.95049/
In your photo we can't see testicles but it can be if it's a girl and will never have them, or in males testicles usually drop sometime between 9 and 16 weeks, depending on your rabbit. Judging from his size at 4 months if it's a boy you should be able to find them already. I've heard of Netherland dwarf who's testicles dropped only at 6 months.

One more thread

Could my gurl bunny be a BOY?

So I can't see any testicles, and when I apply pressure near the genitals nothing's really moving. But on his tummy I can definitely feel at least one tiny lump under his fur. Not sure if I can feel another one. Do does have any lumps? Is there any way to discern bucks/does in another way?

I know that one of my bucks even though I press I won’t see anything. But he was neutered at 4 months while my other buck was first at 6 months when his testicles pop out 🤣

The lump you are feeling can be a nipple if you have a doe, but wait until at the vet or try again to press the sex forward. Maybe ask someone to help you press the sex forward. Myself often press the sex forward by putting pressure where you see the slit, just a little above and it will often pop out.

Do bucks also have nipples? I've felt evenly spaced non-growing small bumps on both my bucks....
Not sure that buns can have warts.

Do bucks also have nipples? I've felt evenly spaced non-growing small bumps on both my bucks....
Not sure that buns can have warts.

Don’t know if you call it a wart among rabbits but there a virus (shope papillom virus) that also caused the legend about jackalopes while humane papillom virus cause warts among humans. Among rabbits it will be a wart growth around the head often, it can look like horns growing on the rabbit.

Myself have never felt any nipples on the 4 bucks I have owned, I’ve only felt nipple on my previous doe.

So I can't see any testicles, and when I apply pressure near the genitals nothing's really moving. But on his tummy I can definitely feel at least one tiny lump under his fur. Not sure if I can feel another one. Do does have any lumps? Is there any way to discern bucks/does in another way?
So Hendrix is now about 4 months old right?
They can retract them sometimes, especially when you want to inspect them, it's kind of protecting them just in case. If you have a bit of experience you are able to feel the bags at least as you described. Also they might be not fully dropped yet. As I said in my first comment, if you just let him sit relaxed on your lap and you like massaging his belly and he will be relaxed and won't be expecting you there so you can feel them probably with your fingers. When he grows a bit more they will become larger and you'll be able to find them.

If you need to know sooner, you can also gently push skin around his penis (?) just push skin down with two fingers around, you will see there's some thing coming out or there will be vagina. At 4 months you can spot difference definitely.

Here's some clearer pics

sexing rabbits.jpg

So Hendrix is now about 4 months old right?
They can retract them sometimes, especially when you want to inspect them, it's kind of protecting them just in case. If you have a bit of experience you are able to feel the bags at least as you described. Also they might be not fully dropped yet. As I said in my first comment, if you just let him sit relaxed on your lap and you like massaging his belly and he will be relaxed and won't be expecting you there so you can feel them probably with your fingers. When he grows a bit more they will become larger and you'll be able to find them.

If you need to know sooner, you can also gently push skin around his penis (?) just push skin down with two fingers around, you will see there's some thing coming out or there will be vagina. At 4 months you can spot difference definitely.

Here's some clearer pics

View attachment 49505
Yes, he's four months! He doesn't like his stomach being exposed while he's close to the ground on my lap- he prefers loafing. So I can't get him comfy enough to massage his underside without holding him up. When I push down, something definitely protrudes outward, but it looks more akin to the right side of the picture. However, it comes out pretty far and I saw somewhere online that the slit (female) vs. hole (male) can be hard to determine in younger rabbits.

Yes, he's four months! He doesn't like his stomach being exposed while he's close to the ground on my lap- he prefers loafing. So I can't get him comfy enough to massage his underside without holding him up. When I push down, something definitely protrudes outward, but it looks more akin to the right side of the picture. However, it comes out pretty far and I saw somewhere online that the slit (female) vs. hole (male) can be hard to determine in younger rabbits.
Here would be a bit easier to compare. Although top pics of the babies are kinda upside down :rolleyes:

But anyway, it should be a bit easier to get there.
All credits to unknown authors from the internet.

sexing rabbits baby and young adults.jpg

Latest posts

Back