Can you guess my New Zealand rabbits age?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albinoorabbit

Reaction score
Hi this my first time to post in this fourm and also a first time rabbit owner I saved albinoo(my New Zealand bunny) from my schools dissection club about a month ago and he/she has been growing at an alarming rate ever since I'm afraid he is overweight for his/her age but I don't really know his age all I'm sure about that he's over 2 months old can anyone give me an approximate age for him?

image.jpg

Having a wild stab in the dark of around 4, maybe 5 months old. Really tough to tell but that would be my guess based on young looking features but partially developed proportions. He/she doesn't look overweight at all to me, young bunnies do grow a lot quite quickly so don't be alarmed about that. Bandit's final adult weight was double that of his weight at 12/14 weeks.

:yeahthat: A very hard task to guess unless they are still noticeably growing. We rescued a "Full Grown" English Spot--what we were told as she was skinny and 7 pounds. Turned out she was a Checkered Giant and was almost 20 pounds 8 months later.

A vet who knows rabbits will be able to give you a better idea than we can. Make sure it IS a vet who knows rabbits, because the vet I took my Benny to when I thought he had necrosis[Loooong story short: The humane society didn't take care of him at all, when we got him, he had a lump on his back that he bit open and the skin turned black, turns out it was discolored scar tissue] told me he was full grown and wouldn't get bigger than what he was at the time, just over five pounds. That was September. He's now about 7 pounds.

Thanks for the quick replies it's very reilieving that he's fast growth rate is normal but Just to be safe I would like to know the ideal weight for his age as of today he is 0.5 kilograms

Can you double check the weight? I show that to be a little over 1 lb. Cals and NZ's are typically between 3-5 lbs at 70 days old. Maybe he isn't a purebred NZ?

Double checked again still 0.5 kilos I found a picture of binoo when I first got him at April the 3rd so it's been approximately 1 month since I got him maybe this photo will give a better idea of his age

image.jpg

He certainly looks younger in that picture than the other one, still 0.5kg is quite a bit smaller than he looks in the image :p In this image he looks 8-12 weeks! How deceiving pictures can be.

It's hard to say what his age is since his weight doesn't make sense given his picture. He could be a runt and maybe have another, smaller, breed mixed in as well. Once he stops growing we might know better. There are smaller white rabbits, known as a Florida White, that he could be mixed with. They look like miniature NZs.

Latest posts

Back