Can you cross breed rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most pet rabbits are mixes. That doesn't mean, however, that it is advised to do so. Breeding is best left to those who know what they are doing and are working on improving a particular breed.

Any two breeds of rabbits are capable of breeding. The exception would be that if a large or giant breed is bred with a smaller breed, the female should be the larger breed. Otherwise, she may not be able to deliver the kits.

Agree with what said that female should be larger than male, but it is also tricky as they may have larger breed in their lines and can get bigger kits, even bigger than themselves so it is quite risky for mother and for her future generations because you don't know there's no record of who their parents/grandparents were so you can't be sure.
Bernie is a mix between mini lop and holland lop I believed, but half of her kits were much bigger than she and her male, they were large blue-eyed whites, giving birth was painful and risky, I only realised that now after she had more kits and three large blue-eyed whites as well, other kits were mini-sized and very different. So I would never breed her again because now I am quite sure it comes from her side, and her mini-daughter will also be fixed to prevent this. One her son is a beautiful classic mini-lop with fantastic personalities and very tidy, but again, if you breed him and you'd expect mini-kits it can be very wrong as he can also carry that giant gene, or his next generations. So he is also very risky I am going to neuter im as well.

Latest posts

Back