Can you bond after mating?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskaisbell

Reaction score
So I have a very specific situation that I need some advice on, I hope this is a relevant thread to be asking. So I got two Holland lops back in August, the breeder told me they were both girls - sisters. Well I noticed nest making behaviour a few weeks ago and upon inspecting my grey lop closely I definitely found testicles. Once I realised, I separated them but I was sure she was already pregnant. So a prepped the cage and found babies a few days later.
Well turns out we love having the kits, and would like to do it again. So I found a different female/not related to my boy. We brought her home this week and she's only 3 months old, so I know I need to wait another 4 to 5 months before breeding her. Well I'm curious if after a few litters I could fix them both and bond them?
What are the tips or possibilities on bonding two bunnies who have mated? When introducing them, I put my new doe Honey in her cage and my boy Thumper was so excited! He circled her cage kept sticking his nose through the bars. They're in cages right next to each other while I work on building their shed and run in the backyard.
I honestly think if they were both fixed I might have almost an instant bond because they love grooming each other through their cages - it's the sweetest thing.
Anyway this was long I know so if you made it this far, thanks! Any help is appreciated!

IMG_20210302_204009_183.jpg20210315_141559.jpg20210313_180810.jpgIMG_20210313_193013_814.jpg

I understand that you loved having baby bunnies, but instead of breeding them would you consider fostering a pregnant mom or a mom that recently had babies? Rabbits are so overpopulated and there are hundreds of rabbits in shelters that really need homes or foster homes. And, when fostering, the rescue would pay for vet bills, food, toys, etc. you would just get to enjoy owning the rabbit and her babies.
https://rabbit.org/adoption/why-not-to-breed.htmlhttp://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_ge... find good homes,becoming snake or human food
If you do decide to go the breeding route they should still bond after being spayed and neutered. Of course, there is never a guarantee that they will bond, so keep in mind that you may have to house them separately.

Bonding fixed rabbits is all about compatible personalities, so previous relationships before getting altered doesn't necessarily play into it. Unless that previous relationship involved fights. Those, rabbits tend to not forget easily, even after getting fixed. Right now your rabbits are primarily acting on hormones, so it's not a good indication of whether or not they will still like each other once fixed. Though I will say, them getting along now prior to getting fixed is a more hopeful indication of them possibly being compatible after their spay/neuter, than if they didn't get along now.

Thank you for your response!
I'm so happy to have somewhere to talk about all my bunny questions that feel too unique or specific to find elsewhere.
I didn't realize the overpopulation problem of rabbits and wouldn't want to add to it. I have a lot of homesteader friends that were interested in growing their rabbit collection and others were just starting out, so I thought I might breed for them, but that foster idea is a good one.
We're building an 8x8 foot shed in the backyard with a tunnel leading to the run. I like the idea of not having to separate them. Let me ask a follow up question - If I neutered thumper now could he house with her (after the alloted time period) and then Honey would be spayed when she's old enough. Or should I wait to combine them until they're both fixed? I want to give them their best chance at bonding.

Usually it's recommended to get the doe spayed too before starting bonding. But having said that, it just depends on the personalities of each rabbit on whether prebonding a neutered male and unspayed female will work. I've had occasion where I had to do it for a time, and I know of others that have done it as well. But by no means is this a recommendation.

I had a rescued male that I came into unexpectedly, got him neutered, but couldn't get the doe I already had spayed right away. I needed to be able to keep them together though. After waiting the time needed for his hormones to fade, I tried a date and their initial interaction was good so I went ahead and bonded them. I think it mostly worked because he was a very tolerant easygoing buck that dealt with her stroppy attitude really well.

So it really just depends on your rabbits. And always going about the bonding process understanding what you're doing as thoroughly as possible, through as much of the proper research as possible. Understand rabbit behavior and body language, real signs of aggression and irritation, knowing when to intervene, and always providing the necessary supervision.

My 2 rabbits were the same way, they just loved each other (through the cage) They would flop next to each other and groom each other through the bars, they just loved being around each other, sadly they both passed away, (one from surgery) and the other we do not know, (it wasn't GI stasis) At least they're both in bunny heaven together..

Thank you for your response!
I'm so happy to have somewhere to talk about all my bunny questions that feel too unique or specific to find elsewhere.
I didn't realize the overpopulation problem of rabbits and wouldn't want to add to it. I have a lot of homesteader friends that were interested in growing their rabbit collection and others were just starting out, so I thought I might breed for them, but that foster idea is a good one.
We're building an 8x8 foot shed in the backyard with a tunnel leading to the run. I like the idea of not having to separate them. Let me ask a follow up question - If I neutered thumper now could he house with her (after the alloted time period) and then Honey would be spayed when she's old enough. Or should I wait to combine them until they're both fixed? I want to give them their best chance at bonding.
Thank you for going the fostering route! The shed/run idea sounds amazing!

I think you should wait until both rabbits are spayed and neutered because after Honey is spayed her hormones will change and she and Thumper might not get along anymore.

Latest posts

Back