Can you bathe bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently, my rabbit Jasper managed to pee all over his feet and belly. Usually he manages to clean it off on the grass or something but it's sort of..turned him yellow. It's been three days, and it looks sort of cruel to put them in a bath. So I don't know what to do with him. Plus he smells terrible.

Please dont bathe your rabbit.
You can try a warm damp cloth if there is stuff stuck to him but do not soak him down and get him "wet". A bath is not going to remove staining either.
Rabbits should not need baths. Getting poop or pee all over him likely means theres something wrong.

Ok... I know males that are on heat will spray themselves but in your case it can’t be that...hmmm he should clean himself up in no time (rabbits are good cleaners)
Good luck

A rabbit peeing over himself would kinda catch my attention. Not in the 'OMG, vet now!' way a rabbit not eating would, but I would keep a close eye on him and take him to the vet if it does occur again or if you see any sign of irritated skin / ugly fur around the tail. It might be the sign that something is preventing the rabbit to clean himself up properly or of a urinary problem.
I agree that your rabbit will probably wash himself up.
Just in case he doesn't, I've got a pig-rabbit who doesn't pee on himself but who washes himself very quickly and not carefully at all (I've had him at 8 weeks and he's been like that for the past 4 years, so it's not a health issue... washing himself just doesn't interest him and I swear I saw his bunny friend sniff him, make a disgusted face and wash his feet a few times). It's not a very big problem but his under paws tend to get matted and this moron had pododermatitis once because of it. So when it looks dirty I do wash his back paws. I do that with a basin containing about two cm of warm water that I put on the floor. I sit in front of it and hold the rabbit so that only the dirty places get wet, just dipping his tail and paws quickly. Then I use a small dollop of special shampoo for rabbits (you can probably find that at the vet - I honestly can't tell you if it's just a marketing thing or if this shampoo is really 'special' but better safe than sorry), just washing the back paws and rinse. Afterwards I use a towel and paper towels to dry him. I only do this if it's necessary and never when the weather is cold. I generally end up more wet than he is. If your rabbit is disgusting and smells bad, I probably would wash him if he doesn't get to it. Sometimes, rabbits are weird. After her spay, Aki (who has always been a very clean rabbit) wouldn't touch her hindquarter at all and got really disgusting. After a few weeks, at the end of my rope, I finally washed her. She hated it and immediately began licking herself to get rid of the smell of the shampoo and the remaining moisture after I did and, like magic, she was cleaning herself up again after that.

Latest posts

Back