Can two magpies create broken blue torts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julieslops

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone help me out here. I recently purchased a beautiful broken blue tort doe to breed to my vm blue/fawn harlequin. I was only given a pedigree stating she has two magpie parents but I’ve heard two magpies would cause “Torted tris” could she in fact just be a broken blue tort? I don’t see any random blue spotting on her, if anything it looks like her tips fade to blue slightly on her black.
Also, my buck has a vm harlequin father and vm Orange mother, any predictions on what their babies might possibly be?

before someone mentions, my bunnies are housed separate from one another, indoors, and only have supervised play times. Kittie will be 7 1/2 8 months at youngest for her first attempted breeding and all bunnies will be raised for therapeutic purposes and go to people with real disabilities and need for an emotional support animal, any remaining puns will be sold under contract to approved pet homes. I suffer from major depressive disorder, anxiety and PTSD and my animals have done nothing but bring love and joy to my life and I would love to provide people with healthy quality animals who are actually well socialized and loveable instead of claiming they are and breeding 25+ buns and selling them NO QUESTIONS ASKED (WHO DOES THAT)... apparently all the breeders I contacted!! All they care about is if you have the money, breaks my heart not being able to find a reputable breeder and all the ones I thought were totally had me fooled :( their rabbitries depressed me and I grew up with my grandfather raising buns and not fully agreeing with everything all the time but boy canpeople be money hungry in the holland lop “business” bc they make it a business 🙄

SORRY FOR THE RANT 😅

Attachments

• 1EB5C576-1D06-478C-97A7-30A91498AA86.jpeg
    1EB5C576-1D06-478C-97A7-30A91498AA86.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 8
Problem isn't with harlequin/tort. A harlequin can easily produce a blue tort

But magpie is a chinchilla based color and chinchilla is recessive. Tort is not a chinchilla based color, so two magpies could not make a blue tort, closest they could make would be a blue point.

Also, magpie is genetically a solid color, and two solids can't make a broken.

Bred to a vm blue/fawn harlequin (and I do have to say I do not recommend this breeding, vm is impossible to breed out of lines and any time I see a vm harlequin it's usually from a backyard pet breeder) and you'd likely get a mixture of blue/fawn harlequin, blue tricolor, maybe cream or broken cream, or blue tort or broken blue tort, all with a chance of being vm or vc.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond!!! I had to ask considering the breeder sent me a picture of a 5 month old available harlequin and said it was a magpie 😂 but thought the breeder might have accidentally sent the wrong photo... that’s what I get for giving people the benefit of the doubt... they also said that the mom was a “white & black harlequin” they were foreign, which may be why there was such poor miscommunication on their end, beating around some of my questions, but I will say I did believe I was getting my bunny from a high end breeder and I’m devastated they couldn’t even give me correct parent information!
On a different note, here’s my next question; I have been looking for a different male with much better type to breed her with but am not sure what to look for. Any recommendations considering her mother was likely to be a magpie and her father to be a harlequin? I would like to stay away from producing both colors if possible. My boyfriend is obsessed with his vm so that will forever be his baby lol

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond!!! I had to ask considering the breeder sent me a picture of a 5 month old available harlequin and said it was a magpie 😂 but thought the breeder might have accidentally sent the wrong photo... that’s what I get for giving people the benefit of the doubt... they also said that the mom was a “white & black harlequin” they were foreign, which may be why there was such poor miscommunication on their end, beating around some of my questions, but I will say I did believe I was getting my bunny from a high end breeder and I’m devastated they couldn’t even give me correct parent information!
On a different note, here’s my next question; I have been looking for a different male with much better type to breed her with but am not sure what to look for. Any recommendations considering her mother was likely to be a magpie and her father to be a harlequin? I would like to stay away from producing both colors if possible. My boyfriend is obsessed with his vm so that will forever be his baby lol
Tort is recessive to harlequin, so you don't have to worry about that part of her background. If she's tort, it means she can't carry harlequin. Breed her like you would a tort. If you are looking for one with better type, chances are likely that it will be a black tort buck, which would be a good pairing for a broken blue tort.

Latest posts

Back