Can someone look over my bonding plan and answer bonding-related questions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
I am going to be bonding Bugs and Evie. They are both a year old and fixed. Bugs has been neutered for 6 months, but Evie got spayed just a week ago. If I were to get Bugs and Evie bonded before a month was over (or her hormones weren't fully dissipated), could that lead to a fight? I am determined to make this pair work after the last bonding attempt with another girl failed horribly. Evie groomed Bugs a lot during the initial date which he appreciated, so it doesn't seem that her hormones will be a problem. Nonetheless, I will be waiting at least a week before letting them meet face to face just so they can get used to each other's smells.

I feel more comfortable and know more about the gradual method, but I am willing to do the fast method if the gradual method isn't working. If I were to do the gradual method, here's the steps I would follow:

1. Put them both into the bathtub and push them close to each other. I wouldn't allow them to move around and I would pet them. Evie is comfortable with me petting her so she wouldn't be stressed out by that aspect. This would be done so they could get used to each other's smells and sitting next to one another. I would do this for 10 minutes, 6 or so times.
2. Then they would be put into the bathtub and allowed to move, obviously with me ready to intervene if needed. I may end up just giving half the tub at first. I would give them some lettuce if they seemed tense. These sessions would be anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours, provided they are doing good. I would move on to the next step when there was no aggression, cuddling, and grooming either each other or themselves.
3. They would be put into half of the x-pen (2ft by 4ft). This would be the exact same as the previous step, just in a bit larger area. We would move on to the next step when there was no aggression, cuddling, and grooming either each other or themselves. I would also like to see a flop or two, but I won't hold them on this step if they don't.
4. They would be given the whole x-pen until there was no aggression, cuddling, and grooming either each other or themselves.
5. I would put a litter box and toys in until there was no aggression, cuddling, and grooming either each other or themselves.
6. I would put a box (to play/hide) in, along with all of the other things mentioned in the previous step until there was no aggression, cuddling, and grooming either each other or themselves.
7. I would cement bond overnight in a neutral pen (I will be buying new everything for this).
8. After the last step, I would slowly give them free roam of my room. I would expand the area they are allowed daily, to prevent anyone from getting territorial. Everything in the room will be either thrown out (great excuse to finally get a new rug and blankets ;) ) or scrubbed to wash away scents.

I don't want to drag the process on, but I don't want to rush it either. Some things like putting the litter box in could be done during the session they are given the whole pen so it doesn't drag on.

I will be doing these sessions in completely different locations than what I did the last bonding attempt at just to prevent Bugs from getting territorial. The only location that is being reused is the bathtub, but that's probably already neutral.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading this too-long post!

Latest posts

Back