Can someone help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgtpepper

Reaction score
My rabbit has a problem. 1 he takes big deep breaths in and out all the time. it's starting to worry me.

My rabbit is also 7 does that mean he's a senior?
If anyone can help me that would be awesome!

Last edited:
7 year old is really not all that old, your rabbit can still live for several years. And if he has a problem, he needs to be treated. What you describe is a lot too vague for us to tell you anything. Breathing how? When did it start? Is it something that he does all the time or only from time to time? Did anything change in the rabbit environment / situation? Is there any discharge around the rabbit's nose? Any other symptom? Is he sneezing?

If you feel something is wrong or that your rabbit is in pain you need to see a rabbit-savvy vet and fast. Rabbits can live for a long time, but when an illness sinks its claws into them, their state tends to worsen quickly. Consulting a vet without delay to pinpoint the root of the problem and begin a treatment is often the key to save them - if you wait, your rabbit can die from an illness that would have been easy to cure if you had brought him to a vet. And if your rabbit really has a problem with his lungs, it's possible he needs antibiotics.

I did move him to a bigger cage (5 1/2 ft by 4ft). And it was happening in his old cage as well. He did have a lot of sneezing fits a few days ago but it seems to calm down. But he has this "heavy breathing" it's kinda how u take a deep breath that's what he is like now. I did adopt him 4 years ago. But when I got him he seemed super healthy. I clean his new cage everyday. Sometimes twice a day. It looks like he has pink eye liner around his eye and he doesn't open it all the way.

I would say if he is having breathing problems he should see a vet. One of the more common respiratory diseases (in the US where I am at least) is Pasturella- which is a common cause of septicemia in rabbits. It can kill them in only a few hours from being relatively asymptomatic. Good luck!

I agree with above posts. If there is a change in his breathing from normal then he should go to a rabbit knowledgeable vet. You also mentioned half open pinkish rimmed eye which also needs to be seen ..could be conjunctivitis.
I had a mini-lop years ago who had a respiratory problem that began when she was about 6 yrs. old. it was a lower respiratory infection rather than upper so she did not have discharge from nose. etc. but did need antibiotics to overcome it.

Latest posts

Back