Can some one help me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general a rabbit thumps out of fear.They also thump for attention. If it's just startted I would have toasume it's fear. Something has scared them. It could be a cat or dog inthe house something like that. It could be loud noises are scaringthem. Something as simple as turning the tv too loud or a familyarguement can be enough. You need to find what is scaring him and tryto get it out of his enviroment.

Prolonged fear puts a lot of stress on a rabbit. Which can lead to further problems.

Tina

Thumping usually means the bunnies are frightened. Have they heard a loud noise that maybe gave them a scare?
Are they quite new in your home? Or have you moved them from theirnormal surroundings? They are creatures of habbit, and get can getgrumpy when the 'normal' routine is significantly changed.
A thumping rabbit may also be in pain.
It is also a way for a rabbit to tell another rabbit, keep away, I have had enough of you for the moment etc.
Hope this helps.

Yea, he probably feel threatened and out of placein the new cage...give him some time...but make sure he's ascomfortable as possible...keep stress low!

Good luck!

-Vanessa

bunnihun wrote:
It is also a way for a rabbit to tell another rabbit, keepaway, I have had enough of you for the moment etc.
Hope this helps.
In our case it's a way for Sebastian tolet us know if he's had enough of us! :shock:He has neverbitten and rarely thumps, but days like today, when I had to groom himfor an hour......he thumps several times when he finally gets putdown. It's his BIG sign of irritation.

In the wild it's used as a warning and asign of dominance. I have used it in training Sebastian. As we'vetaught him the meaning of "NO" and "Leave It" we hit the floor with acupped hand. It has been very effective. We no longer have to use ourhand. He now responds to the voice commands alone.Usually....:?

Raspberry

I've trainedSebastian pretty much as I have my dogs over the years. Animals ingeneral respond the best to one word commands that are accompanied by ahandor body movement of some kind.

When I went to the refrigerator to gethis greens I ask if he wanted something to eat as I opened the door.I'd put emphasis on the word "eat". Before long when I said "eat" heran to the refrigerator to wait for greens.

We'd ask him if he wants "up" each timewe picked him up. Over a period of months he would come to stand up onhis back legs all on his own when you'd ask him if he wanted "up".

When he'd go behind the computer desk orthe entertainment center where there were wires, we would smack thefloor and say "leave it!" and chase him out. Soon he knew that phrasemeant to stay away from whatever area he was near when he heard us sayit.

Every morning when I come to the kitchenhe's happy to see me and gives kisses. I always say the words "give mekisses". Now when we say it other times he will usually come runningand give kisses.

If we ask if he wants a treat, weemphasize the word "treat" and go to his cabinet. He now runs ahead andwaits there for us.

I just think it's a matter of patienceand a lot of repetitiveness. Weeks and weeks, or perhaps evenmonths of it. I've been working with Sebastian for a year now.

One last suggestion. Be open minded. Iwould never have listened if someone had told me a rabbit couldn't betrained! :dude:

RaspberrySwirl

Latest posts

Back