Can rabbits have Green beans with the seeds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunLover

Reaction score
I looked up: Can rabbits have green beans: It said that they could. I just cut open a green bean and I saw these seeds, Are they safe for rabbits?

Attachments

• IMG_7599.jpeg
    IMG_7599.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I would imagine fresh green beans are alright, though introduced gradually into the diet like you do with all new foods and monitor for any signs of digestive upset(and stop feeding if it occurs). Also limited because of the higher carb/protein content due to the seed part.

It would be classed under 'Vegetables to limit'.
https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Beans are toxic uncooked, green or not does not matter.

I do not think, or have ever heard that rabbits would be immune to those toxins (Phytohaemagglutinin).

Last edited:
It's always a question of dose, a human 20-40 times the weight of a rabbit needs more to get an effect, but for some beans the lethal dose for small children can be as little as 5 beans. I've read that the toxin concentration is even higher in green beans.

Eating Raw Or Undercooked Beans Is Dangerous - Wild Oats

My rabbits spend the day out in the big, wild garden, next to the vegetable plot. They did test nibbles at the beans - and left them alone for the rest of the year. Mine are used to grazing and foraging and know very well what they can stomach, and what not, I'm pretty sure more common pet rabbits diets (hay veggies, some greens, pellets) do not train those instincts.

Last edited:
It's always a question of dose, a human 20-40 times the weight of a rabbit needs more to get an effect, but for some beans the lethal dose for small children can be as little as 5 beans. I've read that the toxin concentration is even higher in green beans.

My rabbits spend the day out in the big, wild garden, next to the vegetable plot. They did test nibbles at the beans - and left them alone for the rest of the year. Mine are used to grazing and foraging and know very well what they can stomach, and what not, I'm pretty sure more common pet rabbits diets (hay veggies, some greens, pellets) do not train those instincts.
Thank you, Because we eat outside and inside of green bean, I didn't group them with dried beans. (White, kidney, pinto, etc)

I growled them in our own garden, does that make anything change? I tried feeding one to my rabbit a few days ago and he loved it, I think he acted normal to from when I was with him. So @Preitler are you saying that rabbits can NOT have green beans? @JBun, so your saying they are fine in small amounts and to introduce it to them right?

I definitly would not feed it and test out how much is going to do harm.

I'm still trying to check the accuracy of this. From a quick search, it appears that raw dried beans (which are picked at maturity) are more of a concern for potential toxicity -- particularly kidney beans. But green beans are picked while still immature and this means that both phytate and agglutinins levels are considerably lower.
https://www.thepaleomom.com/green-beans-peas/
Green beans are a legume in any case. Alfalfa hay is also a legume (not a grass) so is too rich to be fed regularly to adult rabbits. Small amounts can be used as the occasional treat.

Latest posts

Back