Can rabbits get flea from outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy101

Reaction score
hi everyone. Long time no see. Got some good news. Teddy is now harness trained! I just wanna know if he is going to get any fleas if i take him to the park. He is perfectly fine with people and he is really curious too.He loves kids so yeah thats all I wanted to know. Can he get ticks or fleas from the park. If yes, is thier any way to prevent it.

Yes, they can. I would check his fur after you get back from the park. That's adorable how your bun is harness trained! I'm getting mine in 2 days and I'm so excited

Yes he can get fleas but they rarely live on rabbits, but he can definitely get a tick. You can use a spot on treatment like we do for dogs and cats but I would just check him over completely once you get home.
My main concern though would be that it’s quite scary being in an open space having dogs running up to him, and you also don’t want him eating the grass or plants outside as they could have pesticides and dog urine etc.

Well, ticks would be really more likely, depending on what lives in your area and climate, and dogs would be my first concern too. My rabbits spend hours every day in garden and meadow, a tick now and then, my buck had fur mites once, but no fleas. Anyway, there are easy remedies for those critters.

I doubt that the grass in the park is treated with dangerous chemicals or that there are enough residues to get a noticeable dose (children are there too), but you can ask what is used whoever is responsible for gardening.
Dog urine isn't dangerous, and rabbits have a very fine nose and don't eat soiled stuff.

Speak for yourself, my rabbit eats everything, when we had a dog that never stopped her haha. I agree chemicals are unlikely but worth being aware of. My biggest concern would be the rabbit being threatened by a big open space and lots of dogs and loud noises. I wouldn’t do it, even with my super confident bunny. But that’s a personal choice.

I'm in Wisconsin. We routinely saw surrendered rabbits come in with
ticks, ear mite signs, fleas, and cuterebra fly (gross looking vent holes). Our vet has given talks on outdoor parasites at education events. Forgot to mention e.cuniculi.
Google on each at medirabbit.com || We have significant wildlife populations that come through our property. This is what my girl expelled after ingesting grass. www.linedgroundsquirrels.com/TapewormParasite.html

Thanks. Dogs are hardly ever in the park. I live in a gated community that hardly ever brings dogs to the park. The park has a playground for kids and a field with a basket ball court.I dont know if their is any chemical on the grass but ill ask.Do you guys have any other ideas of where he can walk

Latest posts

Back