Can rabbits eat red maple leaves?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cluckin'Bunny

Reaction score
I did a search on this forum before posting, but I had no results. My friends rabbit is trying to eating red maple leaves, is that ok for him? I heard that maple leaves are fine for rabbits, but what about red maple?

Thanks in advance!

- Cluckin'Bunny

I don't think a few red maple leaves are too big of a deal either way... when I put my rabbits out in beautiful, green grass, they spend the first ten minutes out hunting for every crunchy leaf and pine needle they can find, completely ignoring all of the delicious clover. They probably shouldn't be a large part of the diet, but as the odd treat found by a foraging rabbit, I think they're probably fine. My only concern would be that maple tends to have a lot of sugar in sap, so they probably should only be consumed by bunnies in relatively small quantities.

I know that wilted or partially dried red maple leaves can make horses sick if enough is consumed. Not sure if that applies to rabbits too, but rabbits also have a different tolerance for forage that could be harmful to other animals. If it's fresh or completely dried leaves, and the rabbit hasn't gotten sick after eating them so far, then I would imagine it's probably fine in small amounts. But that's just a guess.

As far as I know, the problem with horses and maple are not the leafes but the seeds. Maple seeds are toxic, and can kill horses, happens frequently in fall. Horses are rather delicate in that regard, but there isn't much that can harm rabbits who taste every single leaf or strand of grass seperately - if they can chose from a variety of stuff.

My rabbits eat all kind of wilted and detoriated leafes, even in conditions where I would consider it yucky. Doesn't hurt them, I don't pick any leafes out of their forage. Ash leafes are their favorite though.

Latest posts

Back