Can rabbits eat bananas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, never overdo it on fruit. They're so high in sugar, it isn't healthy. Plus, they can easily get an upset tummy, and also as my Ripley does when he has much fruit, he leaves cecotrophes everywhere.

Once they start they just can't stop. Never make the mistake of finishing your banana without saving a tiny bit for your bun friends or they will shun you. At least, that's what my two seem to do.

My little Brandy eats bananas I give him a little on in awhile. He loves grapes which I only give him 2 per week. Bananas are a good little treat for them.

Last edited:
Bananas and blue berries are crack for mine. They don't get them very often, but occasionally I'll throw a human sized bite (split between two rabbits) into their veggies about twice a month, if that.

1 of 2 of my bunnys likes banana, and 2 of 3 dogs will eat it. Some LOVE IT, some could care less I guess.

I like watching their bums twitch when they eat bananas!

Like other's said, small portions are usually ok. Unles your rabbit has digestive problems. Then you will probably want to avoid sugary treats.

Fresh bananas are better then rabbit chips, as they don't contain oil. Honey likes dried treats [& also I can give them when I don't have a banana on hand], so I make dried banana strips from banana peel. I wash the banana before peeling it, then cut the peel up into serving-sized strips, place it on a plastic sheet outside of the peel down, & the strips dry in a few days.

My bunnies prefer the skin of the bannana rather than bannana itself. I've heard from a few people saying you should only feed them skin... But in Australia they don't know much and arn't open to alot of things.

Mine go crazy for it. Just give a little each day (or less often). Mine also like grapes (they get those more often than the banana. When they get it I give them each 1 grape). I have not tried many other fruits with them though. I have frozen blueberries for making smoothies with but my parents will not let me give any to my rabbits because they are too expensive.

my rabbits do not eat bananas. I wonder why. I offered several times

Agnes just recently FINALLY tried banana. And she loves it. It took months :) I adopted Archie in Oct and he went crazy from the start. Agnes would even sit next to Archie and watch him eat it and she still wouldnt try it.

Now, they both know the word "nana" amd come running when I say it:bunny22: and her face is hysterical when she noms. It's like she's saying "why did I wait so long for this!? This is heaven!!" haha

I think that is one of the best things about having a pair- they teach each other things! Most of the time it is good, but sometimes it is a naughty behavior and annoying. So far Bunnicula taught Panda to chew on twigs (he had horrible teeth when he came but they are lovely now), Cinderella litter trained Houdini, who then trained Sophie when she came. I loved to see how they nip their mate in the butt if they pottied in the wrong place. HA! Much more effective than I could be.

I think that is one of the best things about having a pair- they teach each other things! Most of the time it is good, but sometimes it is a naughty behavior and annoying. So far Bunnicula taught Panda to chew on twigs (he had horrible teeth when he came but they are lovely now), Cinderella litter trained Houdini, who then trained Sophie when she came. I loved to see how they nip their mate in the butt if they pottied in the wrong place. HA! Much more effective than I could be.

That is too funny about the nipping on the but to litter train :clapping:

Latest posts

Back