Can rabbits and gerbils be friends?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyG

Reaction score
I have a gerbil and have never really introduced it to my rabbits as I thought they might squash it or it might get scared and bite them. But I have noticed when I let the buns out for playtime snowball likes to climb up on top of the gerbils cage and look for it, do you think they would get on?

I once owned a gerbil while I had rabbits, and made the mistake of putting him (the gerbil) in a box with no lid outside while one of my rabbits ran around. The rabbit approached the box and looked in, and the gerbil lunged up. grabbed the bunny on the cheek, and wouldn't let go. Poor little rabbit, I had to pry the gerbil off of his surprised face. Thankfully he hopped away with nothing more than a small mark and a very bruised ego.

That's the only experience I've ever had with gerbils and rabbits.He was the only gerbil I owned, and he was very aggressive with other animals. I do know that you should never mix species such as gerbils and mice (you will most likely lose someone if you do)...so personally I wouldn't recommend it. However, I did keep my friend's guinea pigs in with my rabbits when I was a teenager and never had problems with them. I think the smaller rodents though, such as mice, rats, gerbils, hampsters, etc., should not be intermixed.

Bassetluv wrote:
I once owned a gerbil while I had rabbits, and made the mistake of putting him (the gerbil) in a box with no lid outside while one of my rabbits ran around. The rabbit approached the box and looked in, and the gerbil lunged up. grabbed the bunny on the cheek, and wouldn't let go. Poor little rabbit, I had to pry the gerbil off of his surprised face. Thankfully he hopped away with nothing more than a small mark and a very bruised ego.
Oh my god!! Poor poor poor little bunny! :cry1

Oh no! I'm not letting the gerbil anywhere near the bunnies after that story! Thanks very much for the link, It was useful as I did not know they needed sand.

Latest posts

Back