Can my rabbits have this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brerrabbit

Reaction score
My hamster has this dandelion salad, is it ok for my rabbits to eat? I know it says for rabbits on the packet, but I learned with my hamsters not to always trust packaging.
20230309_094353.jpg20230309_094402.jpg20230309_094444.jpg

Br'er is 5.5 months and eating a half piece of cabbage and Briar Rose is 10 or 11 weeks and not on fresh foods yet.

Yes, as a treat in small amounts, like aone or two teaspoons per day, I would say it's ok. Although imho it's one of those typical pet shop products that aren't healthy as they claim to be at all, lots of grains in it that pet rabbits do not need. They sure will love it though. One of the bigger health risk for rabbits is getting fat, which is easy to overlook. They evolved on a meager diet and stuff like this - with 50% alfalfa and/or grains is too rich to be a noticeable part of their diet.

More suited for hamsters, I guess.

Yes, as a treat in small amounts, like aone or two teaspoons per day, I would say it's ok. Although imho it's one of those typical pet shop products that aren't healthy as they claim to be at all, lots of grains in it that pet rabbits do not need. They sure will love it though. One of the bigger health risk for rabbits is getting fat, which is easy to overlook. They evolved on a meager diet and stuff like this - with 50% alfalfa and/or grains is too rich to be a noticeable part of their diet.

More suited for hamsters, I guess.
Thanks very much. I've also been hearing that rabbits can't digest maize. I don't know how true this is but I will see if I can pick it out. If not I could just pick out some of the flowers and leafage to give them.

I've found with the hamsters that lots of products labelled healthy or good for them, is actually completely unsuitable and can really harm them. Now I've got my first rabbits I don't really trust anything! I'm so grateful for small animal forums where I can find info from people who care about rabbits and not about marketing their products. Many thanks.

They can digest maize, that's not the issue. Not the optimal proteins and too much calories though. The other thing is that if there are whole kernels - like I've seen in "healthy" pet shop rabbit mueslis - it can cause irreversable teeth issues.

Latest posts

Back