Can my rabbit have a miscarriage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About a week ago my male rabbit broke out of his cage while my female rabbit was out. They're not hostile to each other and are quite friendly so I can only assume they mated. Last night he broke out once again and most likely mated again. Is it likely my female wont have babies? I thought that if she mated twice she wasn't likely to have babies.
Thanks for any advice.

Uhm, that doesn't work that way with humans, and not with rabbits either.

Actually, now it's pretty sure she's pregnant. If she didn't let him mount her this time she quite likely was already pregnant before. Breeding a doe twice a few days apart is done to make sure it worked.
That too is a way to see if a doe took, putting her with a male and watching (and lisatening) to her reaction, most pregnant does get quite vocal towards the buck.

There is always the chance that she wasn't in the mood at any time, but there's no sure way to trell that she isn't pregnant besides waiting the full time. It can get obvious that she is, but not necessarily.

Mark both dates, and have nestbox, hay etc. ready form day 26 after the first and day 36 after the second breeding.

How old are they?

Uhm, that doesn't work that way with humans, and not with rabbits either.

Actually, now it's pretty sure she's pregnant. If she didn't let him mount her this time she quite likely was already pregnant before. Breeding a doe twice a few days apart is done to make sure it worked.
That too is a way to see if a doe took, putting her with a male and watching (and lisatening) to her reaction, most pregnant does get quite vocal towards the buck.

There is always the chance that she wasn't in the mood at any time, but there's no sure way to trell that she isn't pregnant besides waiting the full time. It can get obvious that she is, but not necessarily.

Mark both dates, and have nestbox, hay etc. ready form day 26 after the first and day 36 after the second breeding.

How old are they?

Okay, will do.
The male is only around 3 months old which is young, but I thought since he was mounting our spayed female that he reached sexual maturity. The female is 6 years old and hasn't had a litter before.
I also noticed that the female who might be pregnant seemed a little hostile towards him. He slipped out of my hands as I was putting him away and ran to the female's cage. As soon as he got near her back she whipped around to face him and maybe even bite him. My brother had a better view (since he was trying to grab the male) and said she looked like she was going to bite him. Oddly enough, when they sniff each other through the cages they seem super friendly and even lick each other sometimes.

Oh, well, that changes your chances. Bucks will mount other rabbits much earlier, long before they are fertile. 12 weeks is really young, depending on breed size, but I seperate litters at that age (about 10lbs rabbits).

Also, an unexperienced doe might not get in the mood easily, and would be just annoyed by a young buck. If I had to bet I would put your chances at less than 50% for little ones, but be prepared anyway, better safe than sorry.

They're both mini lops if that matters.
I'll keep my eyes open for any signs that she may be pregnant. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back