Can illness stay on items?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunmum11

Reaction score
I had a rabbit that had respiratory disease and passed. I am building a new enclosure for my new rabbits but when they get neutered they will have to be separated and I plan on using the old cage for them to be separated. Is it safe for a new bun to be in the old cage? I have disinfected it but I’m still worried. I threw away the old water and food dishes to be safe..

EDIT: actually vingar does work, had to read up. Have to keep that in mind.
Alcohol, bleach, detergent are effective, also keeping stuff outside in the environment, in a sunny place. Also heat, small items can be put into the oven or hot water at min 80°C for some time.

Anyway, it really depends on what kind of bug it was, after a myxomatosis outbreak I didn't use the hutches for half a year (not sure if less would have done it, but I waited until the wild rabbit population died off anyway), I also used a rather strong solution of laundry detergent back then, and rinsed everything thoroughly. Myxo is a bad bug.

Other stuff that is only transmitted from rabbit to rabbit can be gone within days or even as soon as it dries up, or after a thorough cleaning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back