Can I use paper based bedding as a main substrate?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyderbun

Reaction score
I have a long-haired rabbit (unsure of the breed, my guess is american fuzzy lop or just a lop mix) and her fur always gets the wood shavings stuck to it. She doesn't ever eat her bedding or anything, she only eats hay and her food (pellets and veg) I have noticed that the wood bedding is a little bit dusty as well. (The bag it came in doesn't say what type of wood it is but I got it from Pets At Home) So I'm a bit worried about that too.

Is it safe to use paper based bedding instaid of wood? It's the same brand as I use for my hamster's cage. (Tiny friends farm I believe?) I would put a blanket in her cage but I don't have one and my mum wouldn't let me use a towel.

Wood shavings should never be used with rabbits. And you shouldn't need bedding all over the place this just confuses the rabbit on where to go to the bathroom at, bedding should only be in the litterbox. And the best litter to use is wood pellets made for horses or wood stove pellets it is like $5 for a 40lbs bag. It soaks urine up extremely well and there is no smell. @Blue eyes has a picture of how a litter box should be set up with wood pellets. Also, can you post a picture of your setup for your rabbit?

I use PAH wood pellets non clumping litter - £6.99 for 30 ltrs. Does the job well and no odour

Latest posts

Back