Can i relocate my pregnant holland lop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmunson28

Reaction score
My bunny is set to have babies at the end of the month. She started digging a hole in the ground again to make a nest. My boyfriend stopped her last season and moved her when the burrow was already well established and had all her fur in it and when she gave birth she killed all her babies. She has been breeding for a few years and that was the first time she did that. I'm nervous to move her again and have the same thing happen but it started snowing pretty bad and it's cold. Will she kill her babies again if I move her to the shed about 10 ft away from her enclosure?

How many days do you have before she is due to kindle? I have a doe that had three litters underground but never in the snow. I did everything I could to steer her to other areas, short of caging her, so the last litter I waited until she kindled, checked on the kits every day and then moved them to a nest box after a couple days. It had started raining pretty good and flooding was an issue. I made Shure she knew where I loved her babies to and she was fine. I wouldn't worry about snow unless you know it's going to be so deep either you or the mama won't be able to access her kits to feed them or check on them. Or... I don't know for sure, but I would think if you put your rabbit in a shed far enough in advance that she has time to get used to the idea of not digging a nest tunnel in the ground, and then give her lots of hay and long nest box she might have them there successfully. Watch her for signs of stress and agitation. she may have killed her other litter if she thought there was a threat and the babies wouldn't survive, or they would attract predators. If she feels safe, it may be different this time? You'll want to check on them frequently and possibly even "shelve" the kits, which is the process of keeping them separate from mom and only bringing them to her twice a day for supervised feeding.

That's still about 10 days from now, I would move and restrict her to the new area now. That should be enough time to get used to the new surroundings. Also, if she likes tunnels, I would provide a rather closed kind of nestbox already (I prefer those anyway), and lots of hay.
Other than that, as little stress as possible.

I had nests in tunnels twice, lots of careful digging, but relocating those after the doe kindled worked for me, but now I restrict the doe to areas where she can't dig and to the hutch when the time comes.

Attachments

• Chantal Nest1.jpg
    Chantal Nest1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 11
I will try to relocate today. I'm unsure why she feels stressed in the shed where we moved her last time. It's quiet and she has a large dog playpen area full of hay and a nest box. I'm just really worried she will kill them again.

Bunnies need to be INDOORS
Nope, nonsense. My rabbits definitly would object (see picture)

Anyway, keep your cool. Check frequently.
Normally, most breeders follow a 3 strike rule, if something goes wrong three times those genes are better got rid of.

Attachments

• Ruth and Chantal.jpg
    Ruth and Chantal.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Momma had 6 babies. All alive. I was thinking she wasn't due for atleast another week. I hadn't even separated dad yet because she gets so stressed when he's not around. Looking for a pen currently to put dad in next to her

Momma had 6 babies. All alive. I was thinking she wasn't due for atleast another week. I hadn't even separated dad yet because she gets so stressed when he's not around. Looking for a pen currently to put dad in next to her
Please separate mom and dad immediately! He may hurt the babies. There is also a strong chance she is already pregnant again. That means she’s going to give birth to the new litter before the current babies are fully weaned and ready to go home. Hopefully a breeder will be able to give you some advice on how to deal with back to back litters.

Here is a link that might help:RABBIT HEALTH: Surprise Litter! What to do?

Edit: I found and older thread on RO that might help also.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/back-to-back-litter.87425/

I have them separated right now. I'm purchasing another wire pen tomorrow so I can put them both in the shed near each other and so dad doesn't freeze outside by himself. I'll look into it. Honestly this is our 3rd time breeding her and she would always give birth on the 30 to 31st day. Today is only 28 so I wasn't expecting it at all and now idk what to do if she's already pregnant again 🙃

Congratulations! I have had a few back to back litters on accident (my kids kept sabotaging my efforts to keep the buck separate). My bonded pair of does both were pregnant at the same time but staggered every two weeks. One doe started weaning her babies around 3 weeks and by the time she kindled her second litter they were fully weaned. Since they were all housed together (mamas and babies), they would try to feed from the other mama and she would let them occasionally. The second doe was more patient and her kits nursed a little even after the second litter was born. But she only had 4-5 kits, while the first had 7. All the kits were healthy and developed well!

Make sure she has unlimited access to hay and pellets until both litters are weaned and even after if she needs more time. You can add a higher protein pellet into her feed and we always give our mamas about a tablespoon of rolled oats every day to help with milk production. Fresh herbs are also good, parsley, cilantro, dandelion greens for extra vitamins. You can also give her and babies alfalfa hay. If you use a water bottle, switching to or putting a crock of clean water in there will help her drink enough water. I would NOT remove the older kits until 8 weeks because even if they aren't nursing, they will still eat mom's cecotropes that they need for healthy GI tracts and still be learning a lot from her!

Been at work all day. It's a blizzard outside. As soon as I got home I went to check on them and found 2 had passed. Looks like one wondered away from the litter and got too cold. Another was all the way at the bottom of the next box possibly smashed by mom? Another looks like a peanut and may not make it...

Latest posts

Back