Can I keep my female rabbit on her own?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyderbun

Reaction score
First post/thread here! I really need help, since I'm very conflicted.

Last Friday (it's Tuesday as I write this) I adopted a female rabbit (unsure of the breed, she's white with floppy ears and is very soft and fluffy, looks like a lionhead but not quite so I'm assuming mixed) and named her Angel because she's VERY friendly. I've only had her 4 days but she's so calm and relaxed (she's 3 and a half years old, poor thing was stuck in the adoption bit for two months :( )

Anyway, my question is this; can I keep her on her own? My friend at school (I graduate this year) keeps insisting that "all rabbits need to have a partner unless there's a health reason" which I know isn't true since I've seen plenty of people keep one rabbit alone and the rabbit seems fine.

Angel was originally with another bunny called Coco, but he started to pick on her/bully her when her eye went funny and started streaming (blocked tear duct I'd assume), so the people in the adoption place had to split them up. The lady we talked to said Angel ("Pinky" at the time) was perfectly happy on her own and she really seemed like it too- not acting depressed, playing with her toys, eating/drinking normally, etc. At home she's only been here a few days but is very friendly and again shows no real signs of stress. Body language always shows that she's relaxed or curious, plays with her jingly ball and her hay toys, seems very happy. I only want what's best for my bunny (I've been wanting rabbits for years), but if she's not depressed/uncomfortable/etc I don't really see why I should try and convince my parents to let me get a second rabbit to bond her with if that makes sense...

Angel lives in my room, and during the day & night she stays in her big indoor cage, but in holidays, at weekends and whenever I'm not asleep or at school she gets free range of my room. Plus I love her with all my heart and play with her/stroke her/brush her every day after school & before school.

If she isn't showing any signs of depression and seems very happy, is getting her a bunny friend still an absolute must? At the rescue place she got split up from her friend since he was bullying her and was housed on her own for two months.

It’s good for bunnies to have friends but they can live happy alone. Special for indoor bunnies. If your bunny was outdoor, I would recommend to try find a friend.

Myself own 2 neutered bucks and one doe. Can just say my doe not accepting any of my bucks, showing quite an aggressive temperament towards the bucks.

But no one can compare with a friend of the same species. They can understand each other and always have a friend during the long days your gone [emoji5]

Oh I also forgot to mention that my mum likes to come into my room to play with Angel too while I'm at school (we leave at 8:12 am and get home at 3)

Many indoor rabbits can do just fine as single buns - especially if they have a roomy enclosure and get plenty of attention and exercise. There are some rabbits that seem to really need a bondmate. This becomes apparent when they act out and are especially destructive.

It sounds like your girl is doing fine as a single bun. However, you really haven't had her long enough yet to know for sure. There is nothing wrong with waiting it out and letting her get fully settled and used to her new surroundings.

In a few months, you can re-evaluate the situation. If she seems to be settled in and enjoying her normal routine, then keeping her single is just fine.

Some rabbits can be quite happy on their own, especially if they have enough of interaction with their humans. Some rabbits are just amazing when they are only pet in the house and can get really nasty if you get them a friend, they can get territorial with all the marking your carpets and all that, can get aggressive etc. So I would suggest if you could watch her for a while if you see she's happy and not getting depressed, also your mother likes to play with her that's great too, it is never too late to get another rabbit, just before getting another one please do some research on bonding and feel free to ask here for advice, here are many people keeping rabbits for decades so they can share tons of experience with you!

My rabbit is all alone outside (lots of toys of course!) and I can tell that he needs a friend. My only hesitation would be the bonding process, and I can't take the risk of not being able to put them together.

If you ever do decide to get a friend for Angel, come back to this forum for suggestions and advice. Angel will need to decide on her pal; any old bunny won't do.

Latest posts

Back