Can I get my bunny spayed at 4 months?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xylo

Reaction score
My bunny has just passed the three month mark, lately whenever I'm asleep she jumps onto my bed and pees on my pillow. I've noticed she only will pee on pillows that I use, not her ones, I'm assuming its because her pillows already smell like her and shes marking mine.
I've tried removing the steps she used to get up to the bed but she figured out how to jump without steps so I'm really not sure what to do.
I live in an apartment and having to wash my sheets and pillows/cases every day is getting really expensive.
She's a free roam bunny, she doesn't have a cage and I don't want to put her in one.
She's still scared of the kitchen and hallway, our room is the only room she's fully comfortable in so I wouldn't be comfortable leaving her in one of them overnight, the kitchen can be loud, we're at the front of the building and the kitchen faces the road.
I've read that spaying can help and I'm fairly sure she's starting to hit puberty at the moment, but I don't want to damage her health/growth..
Any advice would be really appreciated!!

The age you can get your bunny spayed will depend on the vet, some vets will do it at 4 months if they can, others often will say to wait until 6 months.

You could try not letting her into your room, even if it’s just until she’s fixed and her hormones go down. If you want to keep her in your room, you can use an xpen to make a temporary setup.

Spaying her won’t affect her health or growth in anyway

My bunny has just passed the three month mark, lately whenever I'm asleep she jumps onto my bed and pees on my pillow. I've noticed she only will pee on pillows that I use, not her ones, I'm assuming its because her pillows already smell like her and shes marking mine.
I've tried removing the steps she used to get up to the bed but she figured out how to jump without steps so I'm really not sure what to do.
I live in an apartment and having to wash my sheets and pillows/cases every day is getting really expensive.
She's a free roam bunny, she doesn't have a cage and I don't want to put her in one.
She's still scared of the kitchen and hallway, our room is the only room she's fully comfortable in so I wouldn't be comfortable leaving her in one of them overnight, the kitchen can be loud, we're at the front of the building and the kitchen faces the road.
I've read that spaying can help and I'm fairly sure she's starting to hit puberty at the moment, but I don't want to damage her health/growth..
Any advice would be really appreciated!!
Hi, it sounds that she is just becoming hormonal and I don't think she will stop that, I would suggest calling a few vets locally to see what age is acceptable for them, usually it's from 4-4,5 months but depends mostly on vet's experience. If you can't wash your sheets every day then maybe you can get her a playpen or a cage with attached playpen until she is spayed and a few weeks later. After her surgery it advised keeping them in a cage where they can't exercise a lot anyway, just to let them heal, at least for a week or more maybe. So maybe cage is not that bad as a temporary solution, you can let her free roam when you can supervise and lock in for night or when you are not around.

Latest posts

Back