Can I feed my rabbit dog treats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serabeth

Reaction score
I bought these dog treats from a bakery. I have a dog, but I also have a rabbit that wants everything the dog gets to eat lol. I’m pretty sure it’s okay, but wanted to double check. The ingredients listed are pumpkin, oatmeal, and flour. It doesn’t specify what type of flour, so I’m guessing regular all purpose flour. They just look like little cookie bars. I wouldn’t give him a full one (he’s only 5 lbs.). I just don’t trust him to determine whether he can eat something, because he eats all sorts of stuff he shouldn’t. He’s eaten Reese’s pb cups, Hershey’s kisses, Oreos, cheese-it’s, jolly ranchers, a stick of gum, dog food, and cat food. And no, I don’t leave any of these things within his reach. He is both an escape artist and a little thief.

Wait so is the problem with the pumpkin, oatmeal, or flour? If anything, it was the flour that I thought might be an issue. Pumpkin is a vegetable, oats I’ve been told are safe, and flour per a google search is ambiguous. Some say no, some say yes.

No.
And you really need to secure his enclosure better and not leave stuff out as getting into something can potentially kill him.

Yeah, most of those were when I first got him and didn’t think he could or would jump up on my desk. My desk is pretty high and he’s a little rabbit. But no, I found him there eating all of my snacks and cords. He can’t get to any of those things now.

Pumpkin has a lot of sugars, which could cause tooth problems, gut flora issues and weight problems. And oatmeal and flour are processed and contain tons of starch. I've only ever seen rolled oats recommended for rabbits that need to gain or maintain weight for some reason.

To me, it's like feeding a child candy bars, instead of food. Yes, it may not kill them, but it can cause all sorts of issues.

images.jpeg

Okay, thanks for the input. We have put both the dog and cat’s food in another location (a while ago) because he kept eating it. I thought oats were okay, though. I give my rabbit oats almost every day. Just a pinch here and there of the old fashioned Quaker rolled oats. I read he can have up to a tsp of those per day and he loves them.

The problem isn't that oats, pumpkin, or flour are unsafe, it's that excess carbs in a rabbits diet can lead to severe digestive issues like GI stasis or cecal dysbiosis. So a pinch of oats or a bit of pumpkin in a rabbits diet, would be considered a treat food and should only ever be fed in very limited amounts as a treat, and only if the rabbit has no signs of digestive upset or mushy poop. For my rabbits I prefer to avoid all high carb foods and stick to greens, forage, and veggies as their treat.

Pumpkin has a lot of sugars, which could cause tooth problems, gut flora issues and weight problems. And oatmeal and flour are processed and contain tons of starch. I've only ever seen rolled oats recommended for rabbits that need to gain or maintain weight for some reason.

To me, it's like feeding a child candy bars, instead of food. Yes, it may not kill them, but it can cause all sorts of issues.

View attachment 57669

I don’t think this is really what I was asking, though. I never said “hey, I’m going to stop feeding my rabbit hay and instead give him treats” or “can I use these treats in place of fresh vegetables”? I feel like the responses have been a bit overkill.

I mean, who would feed a child candy bars instead of food lol? The answer to “can a child eat a candy bar?” is “yes.” Obviously they shouldn’t be given a huge candy bar to eat all in one sitting, they shouldn’t be given candy bars frequently, and they should have a healthy diet otherwise. Candy bars aren’t good for kids, and they certainly don’t need them. But occasional candy as a treat can be part of a child’s diet, and the child can still be healthy.

Like yeah, I’m aware a treat is not good for my rabbit. Even something like an apple should only be given in tiny amounts in moderation. I’m aware of this. But he really enjoys treats, and I think it’s fun to introduce him to a variety of different foods and flavors. I just wanted to make sure none of the ingredients were toxic. Health conditions like teeth issues or diabetes generally develop over time and not the very second you consume a sugary food.

The problem isn't that oats, pumpkin, or flour are unsafe, it's that excess carbs in a rabbits diet can lead to severe digestive issues like GI stasis or cecal dysbiosis. So a pinch of oats or a bit of pumpkin in a rabbits diet, would be considered a treat food and should only ever be fed in very limited amounts as a treat, and only if the rabbit has no signs of digestive upset or mushy poop. For my rabbits I prefer to avoid all high carb foods and stick to greens, forage, and veggies as their treat.

Thanks! I feel like yours was the only reasonable answer. Everyone else was like, how dare you even consider allowing your rabbit within the vicinity of a pumpkin? I wasn’t planning on getting him the treats regularly. I just wanted to break off a small piece and see if he liked it, is all. The flour in it made me pause, though, and google wasn’t 100% clear on whether it was okay for rabbits. He’s never had any digestive issues at all. Poop is always normal and formed and he always eats his cecotropes.

Personally, I still wouldn’t feed it to my rabbit. My boy has also gotten into a lot of things that he shouldn’t have and is somehow still thriving but I try to only still go hay based or veggie treats. The pumpkin treat is safe, I guess, if you still want to feed it. But I also prefer to stick natural bun stuff

Latest posts

Back