Can I feed my bunny organic quick oats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deliciosa

Reaction score
I know someone said I could feed her steel cut oats to help her gain some weight, but all I have is organic quick oats... they're not the kind that come in little packages with sugar and weird flavoring + preservatives, it's this kind:

m1320049_PCOQuickCookOats_ENFR.jpg

Nope...no quick oats!

The kind you can use is called Rolled Oats...they can be found right beside those ones at the grocery store!

Quick oats are ok, but the less processed a grain is, the better. Rolled or steel cut are a better choice. You can also buy old fashioned oatmeal from the grocer.

Hey Deliciosa, Im the one who told you about using oats to help the weight of your bun... NO, please no instant or quick oats (they are processed differently). Use natural rolled oats. You can buy them in the market. You can use simple Quaker Oats and they will be fine, or the store generic brand is ok, too, just make sure they are not branded as "quick" or "instant". :)

Pet_Bunny wrote:
mishalaa wrote:
What about whole, unhulled oats? Do rabbits have the dexterity to shell them?
I get mine from the farm. Some rabbits will shell them and leave the outer shells behind.
Thanks. I have a 50lb bag that I use for my chinchillas. I will try some as a treat with my bun after I get her and see how she does with them. It's just that the groats are really small and she is a large breed rabbit, I didn't think she'd be able to hold them the way the chins do, and I'd worry about impaction if she ate the groats shell and all?

Deliciosa wrote:
I know someone said I could feed her steel cut oats to help her gain some weight, but all I have is organic quick oats... they're not the kind that come in little packages with sugar and weird flavoring + preservatives, it's this kind:

m1320049_PCOQuickCookOats_ENFR.jpg
rabbit diet is rather basic,they are strictly herbivores-grass eaters-this is a fiber and mostly non digestable,,-this keeps the gi tract running smooth,,--some people offer alot of digestable foods,which is wrong and will jeopordize the rabbits well being--oat grass is ok,,but the actual product-oats-should be offered sparingly,if at all..--i hope this helps,,-sincerely james waller--heart atack survivor-3-28-11,,:p:pray::shock::big wink:

Latest posts

Back