Can I breed my lionhead yet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lion bun

Reaction score
Hello! I'm thinking of breeding my lionhead and I have been reading up alot on how to breed but I'm just so confused. My female lionhead is 6 month old tmr and my male lionhead will be 6 month old on the 24th. My worry is that my male rabbit doesn't have any balls or at least I couldn't see it no matter how hard I look???
Is that normal?

OK I checked and he is a male. I placed the female in the males cage but she seemed a little freeked out and ran from the male so I let her out cause I was scared that they might fight.
Any advise?

I tried a second time and they fought quite aggressively, some fur was pulled but no bleeding.

There usually is a bit of chasing, the females will run away from the males. You could also wait until they were a bit older, it sounds like their hormones might not be completely in yet. If I get a female that is acting TOO aggressive towards the male I will hold her head down while they try to mate so she doesn't turn around and bite him.

You can wait a few days and try again. We had a couple of does that were aggressive so we usually tried to hold them with their head turned away from the buck. Just watch that you don’t get bit on accident.

If they fought aggressively, it would lead me to think they may be be the same gender . Bucks will fight each other, as will does. I’ve never had a buck and a doe actually fight , just run around and honk.
double check both again.
If it is ended a buck and a doe , reintroduce 24 hours later and they may be more receptive .

Hi! I let my rabbit breed again but the female was still very skittish even after a few tries. I tried holding her down but the male just started sniffing and nipping her. Is it normal? Thank you in advance!

Hi! I let my rabbit breed again but the female was still very skittish even after a few tries. I tried holding her down but the male just started sniffing and nipping her. Is it normal? Thank you in advance!

It sounds like neither of them is quite ready yet. You can wait a couple of weeks and try again. Young males don’t always know what to do at first.

Hello! I have waited for a week or two and tried to let them breed again but... They became friend instead??? They don't fight, they cuddle, they groom and both of them have not been neutered or spayed but they are not breeding. Is this suppose to happen???

If you feel confident that they won’t fight you could leave them together overnight. The only downside to that is, unless you have a camera on them, you won’t know whether they breed or not.

Latest posts

Back