Can I breed chinchilla/squirrel Holland lop to an orange/cream one

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gly

Reaction score
I have a beautiful orange male Holland lop and I’m considering breeding him. However, I don’t want to breed him to any dark color such as black or chestnut. I wonder if squirrel would work out with orange? Would both color show on their offsprings?
I think cream and liliac also look good together. Which option should I go for?
Option 1: orange&squirrel
Option 2: cream&liliac

Orange is black based (B_D_), so there is a chance of getting black lops whn combined with a squirrel (which is just a blue chinchilla). Most likely will get opals though. Really depends on what they're carrying recessively though. You can play with the odds with this genetic calculator:
http://www.ephiny.net/tim/pedigrees/color_calc.php
Both creams and lilacs are full dilute (dd) so no chance of getting black from that combo.

Orange is black based (B_D_), so there is a chance of getting black lops whn combined with a squirrel (which is just a blue chinchilla). Most likely will get opals though. Really depends on what they're carrying recessively though. You can play with the odds with this genetic calculator:
http://www.ephiny.net/tim/pedigrees/color_calc.php
Both creams and lilacs are full dilute (dd) so no chance of getting black from that combo.
Thanks a lot!

6247385F-C266-4FAE-986F-166DEEC43484.jpeg
just in case I think it’s an orange but is it more of a fawn?

That's a black tortoise. Not an orange or fawn. Bred to a squirrel would most likely make chestnuts. If you want to stick with lighter colors best to keep it to other non-extension colors such as fawn, cream, tort or frosty

That's a black tortoise. Not an orange or fawn. Bred to a squirrel would most likely make chestnuts. If you want to stick with lighter colors best to keep it to other non-extension colors such as fawn, cream, tort or frosty
Wow I didn’t know this cuz I can’t distinguish between orange and black tortoise but I did notice that he has black mark on his years and his cheeks. Thanks for you explanation!

Wow I didn’t know this cuz I can’t distinguish between orange and black tortoise but I did notice that he has black mark on his years and his cheeks. Thanks for you explanation!
one easy way to tell them apart is to look for agouti markings. orange can have some darker shading (called smut; not desirable but it shows up) but they always have agouti markings: white nostrils, white eye circles and a white belly, usually white jowls as well. Torts usually have bellies that some shade of gray or fawn. Not white.
Here's an orange for comparison. I circled some of the agouti markings. (Picture from Rabbit Coat Color Genes - Pt. 5 - The "C" Series )1614219978884.png
And here's an example of a very light colored tortoise holland lop (from Holland Lop Color Guide with Photos ). This looks like a chocolate tortoise, not black tortoise like your, but still a tortoise.
It looks about as dark as the orange. but I circled some areas where an orange would have white agouti markings and this rabbit does not.
1614220216968.png
The nostrils are usually the most consistent ones to go off of.

I think my bunny does have a white/fawn belly but he has a brown mark on his nose.

Attachments

• 5B3473F6-1C8C-4284-A442-C8386F051B40.jpeg
    5B3473F6-1C8C-4284-A442-C8386F051B40.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 5
I think my bunny does have a white/fawn belly but he has a brown mark on his nose.
Black torts get darker with age, some get lots of black others less, you'll see it when his adult coat comes in at like the 4-5 month mark.

Reactions: Gly
View attachment 53475
is this a product of a solid cream and a solid lilac?
thanks
I'm no expert on color genetics. But ill take a crack at it..

"aa" self gene /solid color
"bb" brown bunny
"C" full color
"dd" definitely diluted can tell by the eyes
"ej this is your tricolor gene that makes Harliquens

Cream is an agouti color, so definitely not that. Solid Lilac bunny carrying the Harliquen gene. Hehe hopefully an expert swings by. :)

F61A835C-B98A-416F-B5E3-9AAAB542AC43.jpeg
Is this an orange? Or a tort/black tort? I want to breed him to a magpie but I don’t want to get any solid blacks. I try to get some magpie or harlequins out of him is it possible?
Thx

Attachments

• 42AEEB91-21F2-407E-92DF-DB4201A49FC2.jpeg
    42AEEB91-21F2-407E-92DF-DB4201A49FC2.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 3CD31574-13C6-463A-8C78-95D612B11A63.jpeg
    3CD31574-13C6-463A-8C78-95D612B11A63.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 4505BE08-68EC-42AE-9028-C29A6C8EA023.jpeg
    4505BE08-68EC-42AE-9028-C29A6C8EA023.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 2
View attachment 53475
is this a product of a solid cream and a solid lilac?
thanks
That's just a lilac harlequin.

And your rabbit is definitely a tort. But that doesn't make much difference when breeding to a magpie. Both tort or orange should produce harlequins when bred to a magpie. Though IMO you should breed for structure and conformation before even looking at color.

Reactions: Gly

Latest posts

Back