Can I breed a black tort to a harlequin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gly

Reaction score
I have a tort male/black tort but I’ve always thought that he’ s an orange. If I’m wrong please correct me. I want to breed him to a harlequin to get some harlequin out of him but I don’t know if that’s possible. I also want to breed him to a magpie to get some magpies if that’s possible.
What color work best with black tort? I do not want any chestnut or blacks.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 977AC6BE-E5BC-469D-8521-9CF6E8C49C5B.jpeg
    977AC6BE-E5BC-469D-8521-9CF6E8C49C5B.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DE4544F9-45B7-4219-8C05-0F2412E5D822.jpeg
    DE4544F9-45B7-4219-8C05-0F2412E5D822.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1343FAE4-8818-448A-8CB7-492E87269E51.jpeg
    1343FAE4-8818-448A-8CB7-492E87269E51.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 6
Tort is recessive to harlequin and magpie (magpie is just the chinchilla version of harlequin.) Breed him to a harlequin and there is no chance of any full-extension colors such as black or chestnut. Only a chance of lighter colors such as harlequin, possibly tort and orange as well

Tort is recessive to harlequin and magpie (magpie is just the chinchilla version of harlequin.) Breed him to a harlequin and there is no chance of any full-extension colors such as black or chestnut. Only a chance of lighter colors such as harlequin, possibly tort and orange as well
Thank you! What happen if I breed him to a BEW?

Thank you! What happen if I breed him to a BEW?
It depends what's hidden behind that blue eyed white. (Pedigree papers) Other than that you'll have a bunch of vc. But you shouldn't see any blue eyes unless your little tort there is sectetly carrying the gene.

Reactions: Gly
It depends what's hidden behind that blue eyed white. (Pedigree papers) Other than that you'll have a bunch of vc. But you shouldn't see any blue eyes unless your little tort there is sectetly carrying the gene.
When a ‘Normal’ non-Vienna rabbit is bred with a BEW then there is a 100% chance the offspring with be Vienna marked or Vienna carriers :)

thank you! What if I breed the Vienna carrier back to the BEW will I get blue eyed?

When a ‘Normal’ non-Vienna rabbit is bred with a BEW then there is a 100% chance the offspring with be Vienna marked or Vienna carriers :)
Yeah i was making a crappy attempt at trying to explain what colors might appear. Bew will hide
thank you! What if I breed the Vienna carrier back to the BEW will I get blue eyed?
Yes, sometimes you get unlucky and get none though. You can also do a vienna carrier to a vienna marked to get blue eyes

Yeah i was making a crappy attempt at trying to explain what colors might appear. Bew will hide

Yes, sometimes you get unlucky and get none though. You can also do a vienna carrier to a vienna marked to get blue eyes
Thanks for your explanation!!

So if I breed a BEW to a tort I will get mostly tort for the baby’s coat?

So if I breed a BEW to a tort I will get mostly tort for the baby’s coat?
No, as mentioned earlier, it depends on what color genetically the BEW is! Consider the white coat a sheet over the real color of your bunny. Pedigrees can help determine that!

Tort is a dominant gene, though, especially black tort.

In theory yes. Tort is a fairly dominant gene. I always end up with atleast 1-3 torts in my litters. Though a broken tort is quite cute.

Latest posts

Back