Can I adopt a baby rabbit for my unneutered male rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theosmama

Reaction score
I have a 3 years old male, unneutered, very calm with humans as well as other animals. Never seen such a calm rabbit before. I've only had him for 2 weeks now, I thought it would be nice to give him some rabbit company. Few days ago I adopted a 6 months old unspayed female with the intention of neutering the male shortly after. Our boy was fine, but the girl had very territorial behavior and started showing aggressive behavior, so we had to return her back as it was not a good match for him. I was wondering if I adopt a baby rabbit (6 weeks old), would it be easier for them to get along and bond since it's a baby bunny? Would it be better to get a male/female?

I would hold off on even considering getting a friend for your rabbit until he is neutered. Adopting a baby rabbit actually has much less of a chance of turning into a successful bond than trying to bond a spayed/neutered adult with your rabbit. The baby could bond at first but would have to completely start from scratch and rebond once the baby reaches sexual maturity and is spayed or neutered. There is always a chance that this second bond would fail. Nearly any bond with a male rabbit involved will fail or be dangerous until he is neutered and the correct amount of time has been allowed for the hormones to fade from his system. Bonding is never something to rush into.

You have only had your rabbit for two weeks, there is no hurry to get him a friend. Get to know him, learn how well you like being the owner of one rabbit, see how well your bunny adjusts to your lifestyle. I personally loved having a single bunny and miss the days when I was the only living thing she wanted to spend time with, instead of being the third wheel to her and her bondmate. Take your time and make sure that you are both wanting and ready to add a second rabbit.

I have a 3 years old male, unneutered, very calm with humans as well as other animals. Never seen such a calm rabbit before. I've only had him for 2 weeks now, I thought it would be nice to give him some rabbit company. Few days ago I adopted a 6 months old unspayed female with the intention of neutering the male shortly after. Our boy was fine, but the girl had very territorial behavior and started showing aggressive behavior, so we had to return her back as it was not a good match for him. I was wondering if I adopt a baby rabbit (6 weeks old), would it be easier for them to get along and bond since it's a baby bunny? Would it be better to get a male/female?
Hi and welcome aboard :)

Short answer is NO. No, you can't.

You will have to neuter your rabbit and wait 2 months after neutering before you can introduce him to a neutered male or female, also +min 6-8 weeks after they are neutered.

The problem was not with that girl, you simply can't allow two unneutered rabbits together without consequences. If you let them together and let them alone or there was some humping you witnessed, it is also possible that girl is pregnant.

I can explain further but this is just a no and when you adopt a baby you will have bad results because after a few weeks if it's a baby-boy they will start fighting and if it's a baby-girl she will become pregnant. Rabbits are babies only until they are 4-6 mnths, then they will become hormonal and any nice looking relationshipp between the babies can have dramatic consequences.

So you need to neuter him first, wait 6- 8 weeks after that and only after that find another NEUTERED min 6-8 weeks ago rabbit, male or female doesn't really matter it will depend on their personalities and if they like each other, not on their gender.

Thanks a lot for the advice! We made sure the rabbits were never in close contact and kept them in separate rooms. I will keep this in mind and neuter my rabbit before getting another one.

Latest posts

Back