Can he have E. cuniculi

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hi everyone it was a while. I’m going to take in a bunny who I suspect have Ec. He have a white dot in one of his eyes and have no vision while the other have lower vision on it.

The “breeder” who have him is a young girl. So she never thought it could be Ec. He’s 9 weeks old and first opened his eyes when he was 6 weeks old, the breeder cleaned his eyes and put luke warm compress as to help him.

At the moment I can’t afford a vet visit sadly until my salary comes because I spent over 1000$ for December and January for vet costs. I can afford the proper meds and will fix a vet time a week later after getting him to get his blood-works. He will be 10 weeks old when I pick him up, I’m going to buy a small cage to have in my bedroom as to isolate him from the other buns and I have the proper cleaning supplies. I will be really careful with hygiene and disinfect his area with a solution that can take coccides, spores, bacteria and viruses for animal use.

I know ec take time until full out infection and you will start to notice it. I also know that some will never get any symptoms even though infected. Why I suspect Ec are that he have a white dot in the eye and not cataracts. I’m picking him up a week from now, so next Saturday.
0E73257A-AEF1-4362-BED6-EF5DBD012788.jpeg98F32F3E-625B-4589-9D2E-5762D1256673.jpeg

I’m getting him for a discounted price and will only pay a symbolic sum. The person who have him want him to find a good home that can help him and also have experience to handle bunnies with special needs.

Though EC is a possibility, it looks more likely to me that the white spot and loss of vision is due to 'nest box eye' caused by bacterial infection and not getting the proper meds and treatment right at the start when he should have had his eyes open at 2 weeks old. The white clouding could still be from the infection being present and a corneal ulcer. He really needs to be put on the proper antibiotic ophthalmic eye drops asap, to see if the damage can be reversed and healed. Though at this point the damage to the eyes could be permanent.

Medirabbit: corneal abrasion and ulcer

Thanks for the tips, I will make sure to get him to a vet and give him a treatment.

Latest posts

Back