Can he be a pure holland lop?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

shawnateerow89

Reaction score
Looking for help to ID this sweet boy! Was told he is pure holland lop. I have 2 holland lop females similar to his color, but their features are fairly different. His ears are skinnier and don't fall completely down. Head is more narrow and muzzle a bit longer. I attempted to weigh him, and will try again later tonight..looked like about 5 lbs. Is it still possible??

If not, please give me opinions of what you think he may be mixed with. Thanks!!!

Attachments

SableSteel

Reaction score
Could be a pure holland lop, just a poorly bred one. There's a lot of really bad quality holland lops out there because breed them willy nilly trying to make 'cute pets', so they aren't as consistent in appearance as some other breeds of rabbit.

LadyGrey

Reaction score
Really interesting coat on him. False dwarf holland lops definitely can hit 5lbs. I've also seen a lot of physical diversity when looking up breeding does. Is he pure holland lop, sure that's easy to accomplish on paper. Is he show quality, nope. I work with vienna hollands so i have a lot of taint my bloodline, like longer ears, thin legs and pointy faces, wirey coats, all reminents from vienna cross breeding maybe 4-5 generations ago. It'll take many more generations to get blue eyed holland lops to look like the breed standard. If you care about how your lops look or want to show them, i would start by getting lops that are closer to the breed standard.

LadyGrey

Reaction score
There is something about his back that's telling me, Californian or new Zealand mixed in. When holland lops sit their heads are up high, which is pretty unique to holland lops.

shawnateerow89

Reaction score
Really interesting coat on him. False dwarf holland lops definitely can hit 5lbs. I've also seen a lot of physical diversity when looking up breeding does. Is he pure holland lop, sure that's easy to accomplish on paper. Is he show quality, nope. I work with vienna hollands so i have a lot of taint my bloodline, like longer ears, thin legs and pointy faces, wirey coats, all reminents from vienna cross breeding maybe 4-5 generations ago. It'll take many more generations to get blue eyed holland lops to look like the breed standard. If you care about how your lops look or want to show them, i would start by getting lops that are closer to the breed standard.
Thanks! These are my 2 does. I'm looking for a buck to breed them

Attachments