Can galvenized metal hurt a rabbit if it's chewed on?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
I was explaining to my father about Harper eating his plastic litter pans, and how I am buying him a new metal one. His first reaction was, make sure it is not galvenized metal. (My dad's a welder and mechanic, so I was like, what's galvenized?) He explained what galvenized was, and said that some people used to boil crawfish in galvenized tubs, but if the galvenized coating leaked into the water with the high temperatures, it could make a person ill.

He knows Harper has a "chewing" problem, and I told him that with the metal litter pan, Harper was going to no doubt chew on the pan. But with it being metal, he couldn't destroy it. He said to watch out, because he wasn't sure if Harper could scrape off the coating with his teeth, or what it would do if he licked it enough. Does anyone know about this, or if it's safe?

Here is the pan:

http://bunnyrabbit.com/equipment%20pix/litterpan.jpg

My dad took one look at it, and said it was definitely galvenized. They sell a replacement grate, which is also galvenized.

If the pan is unsafe for him, does anyone know of any other metal litter pans that aren't galvenized, or are bunny safe?

Well considering most metal rabbit cages are galvanized and so is wire and that I've never heard of it being a problem, I'd say it's ok. All the wire I've ever used is galvanized and my bunnies used to chew on it alot.

But metal can be damaging to teeth, I know some rabbits have damaged their teeth from chewing on metal wire, I'm not sure if a metal litter box could do the same thing but I thought I'd mention it.

I never thought aboutthat a lot of cages are make of galvenized wiring, with a coating over it. Harper ate some of the coating off his cage long ago, and now chews on the wire. It hasn't hurt him yet. That's a relief, thanks for bringing up that point!

Online info as to zinc toxicity in rabbits seems very sketchy, but if you see zinc oxide, a white powdery substance, forming on galvanized metal which they may come into contact with, you should remove it with vinegar & a wire brush or steel wool (clean up the tiny fragments of steel wool left behind). Watch the spot for any return of zinc oxide or rust.

Sharon, the litter pan has a vinyl coating?

Glad to know it won't hurt him! I'm just glad I found a metal litter pan, no more chewing up the plastic ones! I forgot who originally gave me the link to the metal pan, it was either naturstee, or Pipp... or... I forgot. Whoever it was, thanks!

MyBoyHarper wrote:
I never thought aboutthat a lot of cages are make of galvenized wiring, with a coating over it. Harper ate some of the coating off his cage long ago, and now chews on the wire. It hasn't hurt him yet. That's a relief, thanks for bringing up that point!

Here I thought you said that he is chewing wire that has a coating on it. That coating is vinyl. I don't know what your litter pan is. There are lots out there.

Sharon

Sharon, the litter pan is plain galvenized metal, with that galvenized coating on it. I'mwanting to getit because he chews up plastic plans till there is nothing left. I know how Harper is, and even though he won't be able to destroy it, he is still going to try to chew on the metal litter pain. I wanted to make sure being that the metal was galvenized, that it wouldn't hurt him when he chews on it.

This is the litter pan:

http://bunnyrabbit.com/equipment%20pix/litterpan.jpg

I've never seen a litter pan with vinyl on it, I think she meant that pet rabbit cages are often coated in vinyl (the wire parts). I was talking abotu the ones that have no coating like that, the plain old metal ones. They are galvanized to help prevent rusting.

But if you are worried about him ingesting the stuff, I suggest using bleach to clean the litter box instead of vinegar. I've had vinegar eat the coating right off my hutch wires. :disgust:So now I use bleach, so the wire lasts longer and I don't get any rust spots.

Babybunnies, thanks for the tip about the vinegar! I'm worried about the metal litter pan, but I am still going to order it. I don't really have a choice. If he keeps eating the plastic pans, he's going to have some severe intestinal problems. :?

100% vinegar? a 1/3 vinegar/water solution would work & if thoroughly rinsed should not cause rust. Being conservative in such things i would not want to use something as toxic as chlorine, even if it might be OK if fully rinsed off.

Nothing, but a 1/3 solution will do it. My comment was directed to metal, which is much more likely to corrode with 100% vinegar than with a solution.

Nothing wrong with vinegar on plastic, just vinegar ate the wire completely through on my first cage and I used a 1/4 mix weekly.

As for bleach, it isn't bad. If you ever move and the rabbit wont drink the water because it's different, they actually suggest you add a bit of bleach to the water. And I use a little bit in a bucket of dish soap and water, it just helps to disinfect. I thoroughly rinse it off after and so far I've had no issues.

I also use bleach. I'll put straight bleach into a spray bottle and spray down the wire part of their cage. Then, I'll pour a good bit of bleach into the base of the cage, fill it up with water, then drop in the toys and food bowl. I let it sit a couple minutes, then rinse it all very well. I haven't had any problems doing this, and it keeps everything very disinfected.

Yup, bleach seems to work good, not to mention it saves me from having to smell vinegar. I get sick from the smell of it, can't stand it at all!

Latest posts

Back