Can bunnies and dogs co exist if kept in separate rooms?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace!

Reaction score
I currently have a dog but I’ve been seriously considering getting a bunny, however I’m concerned for the bunnies safety. I wouldn’t trust my dog with a bunny, so I was thinking of keeping bunny In my room and allowing the bunny to have free roam of my whole room. I was just wondering if this would still be too stressful?

I had a rabbit in my room before. It was noisy at night and kept me awake. I have a dog and I keep my rabbits in a separate room. I have slowly been socializing two of my rabbits with my dog. I put a gate on the door of the rabbit room so my dog can get used to them, and I have held the 2 of my rabbits for him to sniff. Both of these rabbits have grown up with dogs. It will be a long time before I will trust my dog with rabbits, maybe never. The last dog I had liked the rabbits until they ran. Then the dog's prey drive would kick in. Whether you will be able to trust your dog with your rabbits will depend on the personality of your dog. Take your time socializing your dog with your bunny, and if it looks like there will be problems, it would be wise to keep them separated. Sometimes as dogs get older, they are easier to socialize with other animals because they are calmer.

I had a rabbit in my room before. It was noisy at night and kept me awake. I have a dog and I keep my rabbits in a separate room. I have slowly been socializing two of my rabbits with my dog. I put a gate on the door of the rabbit room so my dog can get used to them, and I have held the 2 of my rabbits for him to sniff. Both of these rabbits have grown up with dogs. It will be a long time before I will trust my dog with rabbits, maybe never. The last dog I had liked the rabbits until they ran. Then the dog's prey drive would kick in. Whether you will be able to trust your dog with your rabbits will depend on the personality of your dog. Take your time socializing your dog with your bunny, and if it looks like there will be problems, it would be wise to keep them separated. Sometimes as dogs get older, they are easier to socialize with other animals because they are calmer.
I was wondering if like even though I might keep keep them separated, would this still be stressful for the bunny? Because im sure the bunny would be able to sense a dog is in the house and hear her whenever she barks

I have a 6 m/o german shepherd - with a very high prey drive and I also have a 3 y/o bunny. The dog stays downstairs and bunny is still allowed to free-roam my room and our upstairs. Both do fine together and we're currently working on training the puppy to leave the bun alone.

If you're adopting from a rescue, then you can ask to see the bunnies that have lived with dogs before (if they have any)

Latest posts

Back