Can anyone tell me what kind of bunny I have?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgaowens

Reaction score
We just got this little guy a couple weeks ago and I am unsure of his breed. Can anyone help me? His ears tend to be one up and one down and one times he will have both up. I really don’t care what kind of bunny he is but, it would help with selecting a better habitat for him if I could gauge what his size will be eventually.

Attachments

• 13A4B98F-7F0D-4E72-85A1-1F36CE62717D.jpeg
    13A4B98F-7F0D-4E72-85A1-1F36CE62717D.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1ED38CD2-8CB8-4AD1-861B-199A83DE4C19.jpeg
    1ED38CD2-8CB8-4AD1-861B-199A83DE4C19.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 12
  • C55E90D5-B972-4999-91BC-32868D39BAA4.jpeg
    C55E90D5-B972-4999-91BC-32868D39BAA4.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 12
  • 2F5603DE-00EC-4B23-94D8-208DB6F9369D.jpeg
    2F5603DE-00EC-4B23-94D8-208DB6F9369D.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 13
He is definitely a Holland lop bunny. He could just be young and his ears not lopped completely yet, or he might have a pinched crown which might prevent his ears from popping completely, also known as “airplane ears.” He is very cute!

Thank you so much. I was wondering if that was his breed.

If he's full holland and not a mix, he will probably end up being around 4 lbs. If he's a mix, he could be anywhere up to 8 lbs. Either way, it won't really affect the overall size of the living area to provide for him, as it will pretty much be the same for either size.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/housing-options.html

If he's full holland and not a mix, he will probably end up being around 4 lbs. If he's a mix, he could be anywhere up to 8 lbs. Either way, it won't really affect the overall size of the living area to provide for him, as it will pretty much be the same for either size.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/housing-options.html
I was just curious because I found a rabbit habitat that includes an attached playpen and wanted to make sure there would be room for him inside without risk of him jumping out of the playpen area.

If it's about the playpen height, that actually doesn't necessarily have to do with the rabbits size but with their agility. Some rabbits are just more agile and clever, and can figure out how to escape or get up on or over things. Others, no matter their size, won't even try to hop over a foot tall obstacle.

So it really just depends on your rabbits personality. Though usually for height, 30 inches is standard. My rabbits are good at 24", so that's what I use. But for some, 30 inches won't contain them. I once had a rabbit that jumped then climbed, out of her 36 inch pen, and she was just an average sized holland lop. Though, there are ways to help prevent this if it is happening.

This is what I am looking at to get for him. I let him run more than seven hours a day for now. Later I will increase that time once I have him in a habitat he enjoys. I have an old sheet that he uses instead of his litter box. In fact he prefers to lounge in his litter box instead of the bedding I have for him. When he is running he will do his potty business on the sheet I have laying in the floor. He won’t go anywhere else which makes me believe he will be easily trained once I find a litter he will use.

Attachments

• B70A1F68-E6F2-4E12-A8BB-69DE9EBB52D2.png
    B70A1F68-E6F2-4E12-A8BB-69DE9EBB52D2.png
    318 KB · Views: 5
That playpen doesn't look high enough. If you already have a cage for him, I would suggest instead, to get an xpen that is 30 inches tall at least, though you may want to go 36 inches if you want to play it safe. You can try 24 inches, but there's a chance it won't contain your bun, then you'll have to buy something taller. An xpen will be cheaper and will also give you more space and more flexibility on how you can configure it. There are also ones available with a door in one of the panels.

Xpen for pets, 30 inch

If you're having issues litter box training him, these links have some good info on litter box set ups. It can also be hormones. So once he's old enough to neuter, that will help as well.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Litter_training

That playpen doesn't look high enough. If you already have a cage for him, I would suggest instead, to get an xpen that is 30 inches tall at least, though you may want to go 36 inches if you want to play it safe. You can try 24 inches, but there's a chance it won't contain your bun, then you'll have to buy something taller. An xpen will be cheaper and will also give you more space and more flexibility on how you can configure it. There are also ones available with a door in one of the panels.

Xpen for pets, 30 inch

If you're having issues litter box training him, these links have some good info on litter box set ups. It can also be hormones. So once he's old enough to neuter, that will help as well.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Litter_training
Yeah. I have already changed my mind after reading more and have decided to get a large xpen and make his habitat in there instead of having a cage with attached pen. He will be mostly running all day and only be in his “room” at night. He will be able to run at least 11 hours or more in the apartment. We let him out now for more than 5 hours at a time because I read that if bunnies live in enclosures they need to run at least five hours a day.
As for litter box training him I am going to concentrate on that as soon as I get a bigger litter box for him.
Thanks so much for all the help. I’m a first time bunny owner and have no idea what I am doing. I’ve mainly had cats my entire life but, hubby is allergic to them and this is the first pet we have had that he can enjoy with us.

Latest posts

Back